Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook  The Metal Crypt's YouTube Channel
Message board alternatives suggestions
Sooo... Like a lot of message boards, this one had grown pretty quiet. It's kind of a behemoth to maintain and I'm wondering if we shouldn't look at alternatives.

I've thought of a "private" subreddit, though I'm not sure it would be a good fit. I'm wondering if anyone here has a suggestion? I've even thought of switching over to hosted Proboards (if we were to keep the message board format) just to ease up on the maintenance.

Facebook groups don't seem particularly good.
I don’t post very frequently myself. Partly I don’t feel much incentive to post much because there really isn’t much dialogue sometimes. I have, however, found much value in this forum over the last several months, so it is a sad realization.

I am a member of another forum which is way more active (but also less metalheads, more -core fans than anything sadly), but it is hosted on Proboards. While I know nothing much about site maintenance, Proboards has been great to me.

I completely agree that Facebook groups aren’t quite adequate. Personally, I don’t think heading to Reddit is an adequate choice either. Personally, I’d be open to reopening doors on Proboards. However, I think it’s inevitable that the forum will grow silent with all of us working jobs and getting busy listening to metal. Curious to see what others are thinking.
I have been here for a while, and come and go. This is probably the only metal message board I visit on a regular/semi-regular basis. To be honest, I think most of the posts here are quality, and I always seem to pick something up when I check in. I understand that an increase in forum activity is desirable, however, whenever I visit other message boards they usually contain a lot of noise and shitposts that you have to spend some time filtering through. I appreciate that I don't have to do that on this forum. Quality over quantity etc.

Anyway, I know that this was discussed some time ago (unless I'm mixing things up), but if you want more discussion I think a comment section under each review should be re-considered. For myself, I will likely not participate as I generally do not give a shit, but if you look at sites such as AMG, they seem to have some activity going under each review they post which may keep things... fresh.
I've been thinking this over and seeing how low the traffic is, I think a Google group would do the trick. It's not as fancy but I think it should work. I've created one and I'm still looking into the various settings. When it's ready for a test drive, I'd like a couple of volunteers to give it a try (privately) so we can see how well/if it works.
(12-26-2018, 09:09 AM)metalcrypt Wrote: I've been thinking this over and seeing how low the traffic is, I think a Google group would do the trick. It's not as fancy but I think it should work. I've created one and I'm still looking into the various settings. When it's ready for a test drive, I'd like a couple of volunteers to give it a try (privately) so we can see how well/if it works.

I'll volunteer as a monkey user.  I already randomly bring up bugs on here to your attention anyway.
Metal Always. Metal Only.
I'm in. I need to figure out this new-fangled "google" thing anyway Smile
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood
With me now living and working in China, a Google related method will only greatly reduce my activity as everything Google is blocked in China. It means I will have to turn on my vpn, which I do occasionally, but it drains my phone battery rapidly and is occasionally more trouble than anything. But I will still try to be connected even if it moves to a Google-based format.
(12-26-2018, 06:43 PM)ReignInBloodyGore Wrote: With me now living and working in China, a Google related method will only greatly reduce my activity as everything Google is blocked in China.  It means I will have to turn on my vpn, which I do occasionally, but it drains my phone battery rapidly and is occasionally more trouble than anything.  But I will still try to be connected even if it moves to a Google-based format.

I thought they had some kind of agreement in China, but that might have changed.
(12-26-2018, 06:59 PM)metalcrypt Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 06:43 PM)ReignInBloodyGore Wrote: With me now living and working in China, a Google related method will only greatly reduce my activity as everything Google is blocked in China.  It means I will have to turn on my vpn, which I do occasionally, but it drains my phone battery rapidly and is occasionally more trouble than anything.  But I will still try to be connected even if it moves to a Google-based format.

I thought they had some kind of agreement in China, but that might have changed.
The greatest struggle in moving to China at the end of this summer was the realization that I could no longer access YouTube on any device.  Google included.  There is no agreement that I’m aware of, but nonetheless, I can confirm that none of the products by these companies work here. You either face a forever loading page or an informative page on the fact that your desired webpage is blocked for security reasons. 

However, I bought a VPN for $100 about two months ago and now I can access the whole internet again. It’s amazing, but still it doesn’t feel perfect as I never feel like leaving it turned on due to its tendencies to conflict with other apps and drain my battery faster than it should.
(12-26-2018, 07:13 PM)ReignInBloodyGore Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 06:59 PM)metalcrypt Wrote:

The greatest struggle in moving to China at the end of this summer was the realization that I could no longer access YouTube on any device.  Google included.  There is no agreement that I’m aware of, but nonetheless, I can confirm that none of the products by these companies work here. You either face a forever loading page or an informative page on the fact that your desired webpage is blocked for security reasons. 

However, I bought a VPN for $100 about two months ago and now I can access the whole internet again. It’s amazing, but still it doesn’t feel perfect as I never feel like leaving it turned on due to its tendencies to conflict with other apps and drain my battery faster than it should.

I've been using a VPN for a while but only use it for specific things. I noticed that OpenVPN was quickly draining my phone's battery, so I've rarely used it with the phone. My VPN provider has a new Android app that I have yet to try. I hope it's gentler on the battery. Not much use in running a VPN if you can't get through the day on one charge.

No company could afford what I'd ask to go to work in China. Cool