Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Current Reads  (Read 237661 times)

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
Re: Current Reads
« Reply #1005 on: September 05, 2016, 06:34:45 PM »
Love that a Vermeer painting is on the cover.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline Noumenon

« Reply #1006 on: September 05, 2016, 06:42:40 PM »
Love that a Vermeer painting is on the cover.

Had to Google that name. Are you talking about this dude? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Vermeer

EDIT: nevermind, found the book cover on the Wiki page.

Offline metaldomdom

« Reply #1007 on: September 05, 2016, 07:33:40 PM »
Stopped reading Moby Dick at chapter 41. For me, its too hard to read. Chapter 40 is about the crew, and for 4-5 pages, I was just reading words, not even doing phrases because I couldn't understand what everyone was saying. I'm not saying its badly written, it's just not my style. Probably going to read it in 3-4 reads instead of one long read.

I even read on a site that you have to read it has 2 books, not one. The first book is the adventure side of the tale. The second book is when Melville came back one year after it to add literature about whales etc...

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #1008 on: September 06, 2016, 05:14:52 AM »
Had to Google that name. Are you talking about this dude? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Vermeer

EDIT: nevermind, found the book cover on the Wiki page.

That's the guy. He's one of my favorite painters along with Caravaggio.

Moby Dick is very hard to read. The style of English is very verbose. I pushed my way through it because I went to school near New Bedford, the city where Ishmael starts his journey. I found the same issue with Hawthorne's House a Seven Gables, a book I didn't not finish  :lol

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #1009 on: December 18, 2016, 06:09:13 AM »
The Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard.

Found a bunch of Weird Tales magazines on line that are free to download so if you've wondered what the big deal is head over to the link below and check it out (not sure if this site is available in every country...)

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=howard

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #1010 on: March 19, 2017, 09:19:33 AM »
Been going through a compilation of H.P. Lovecraft stories recently.  I never read anything of his before, but I quite like what I've read so far (occasionally garish racism aside).
Metal Always. Metal Only.

Offline Dragonchaser

• Staff
  • Ghost In The Ruins
« Reply #1011 on: June 22, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
Into The Water by Paula Hawkins. Don't know if anyone here read The Girl On The Train, but it was a great read. This is the follow up stand-alone novel and it sucks beyond belief. First draft bullshit. Disappointing.

Offline Nosrac1691

« Reply #1012 on: June 22, 2017, 04:04:23 PM »
Recently finished Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff. Currently reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons.

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #1013 on: June 22, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
The Arctic Grail

Book about the search for the northwest passage.

Offline metal_xxx

« Reply #1014 on: June 22, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
The Arctic Grail

Book about the search for the northwest passage.

Have you read Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen? About exploring the North Pole in the late 1800s. Thrilling read.

OT

Toll The Hounds by Steven Erikson. This one is slow as fuck. But working my way towards the end of the Malazan books.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #1015 on: June 22, 2017, 09:55:51 PM »
Just finished Bram Stoker's Dracula (for the second time). Also reading a book on avian intelligence (I'm a birder) and Storm Of Empire by some dude from the internet.

Offline Nosrac1691

« Reply #1016 on: June 23, 2017, 12:07:44 PM »
Toll The Hounds by Steven Erikson. This one is slow as fuck. But working my way towards the end of the Malazan books.

What's your opinion of the Malazan books as a whole? I tried reading Gardens of the Moon a few years ago but couldn't get into it. I've been thinking about trying again since I keep hearing they get much better.

Offline Chris Foley

• Staff
« Reply #1017 on: June 23, 2017, 01:17:04 PM »

Working on this one as well, just finished chapter ten. Put this down when I was plowing through the series a year or two ago, and just had to have a prolonged break. Really enjoying it this time, and it's amazing how much is coming back to me.

What's your opinion of the Malazan books as a whole? I tried reading Gardens of the Moon a few years ago but couldn't get into it. I've been thinking about trying again since I keep hearing they get much better.

The following books Deadhouse Gates, and Memories Of Ice rank among some of the best I've read. Overall Steven Erikson can get pretty long winded, and his books require more thought and investment than your average fantasy series, but if you can get into it, it's a wild ride.

Offline metal_xxx

« Reply #1018 on: June 23, 2017, 06:17:15 PM »

I had GotM lying around for years and started it probably 10-15 timer before putting it down. Finally read it last summer and I have to say that once it gets going it's very entertaining. Not the best in the series though.