Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Current Reads  (Read 229635 times)

Offline Dan Alderson

• "What the soul can house, flesh cannot fathom"
Re: Current Reads
« Reply #975 on: May 22, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
Erikson masterrace, waiting on books four and five in the mail myself. I'm genuinely scared how empty I am going to feel once I finish the series.

Offline Duffman

« Reply #976 on: May 26, 2015, 12:31:29 AM »
Yeah, these books can be quite consuming. I'm currently pushing through Midnight Tides, and have the next two patiently waiting on the bookshelf. What do you make of Midnight Tides? I'm about halfway into book two, and it's really starting to hit its stride.
Just about to start book four. It hits its stride and then some. I'm enjoying this new story arc—wasn't overly enthused when I started reading the book due to wanting to get back to Bridgeburner related narrative, but I'm definitely convinced now.

Offline Dan Alderson

• "What the soul can house, flesh cannot fathom"
« Reply #977 on: May 27, 2015, 12:05:46 PM »
Just about to start book four. It hits its stride and then some. I'm enjoying this new story arc—wasn't overly enthused when I started reading the book due to wanting to get back to Bridgeburner related narrative, but I'm definitely convinced now.

I just read the first chapter to House of Chains last night, actually really drawn in to the new character's and looking forward to starting the new arc. I have to agree that the Bridgebruner narrative is indeed the most exciting, especially coupled with Caladan Brood's Host and the rest of the ascendant's. Book's four and five both arrived in the mail together so I plan on making quick progress during this part of the series.

Offline metaldomdom

« Reply #978 on: May 27, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »

What a bunch a crap. Boring as hell. The first 100 pages was okay then after nothing happens, and the 50 pages paragraph about Goldstein's book was excruciating...

I can see it selling alot in 1940's but in today's world, nop

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #979 on: May 27, 2015, 07:02:51 PM »

What a bunch a crap. Boring as hell. The first 100 pages was okay then after nothing happens, and the 50 pages paragraph about Goldstein's book was excruciating...

I can see it selling alot in 1940's but in today's world, nop

It has lost some of its impact what with the internet bringing the world into our homes much like Big Brother. That shit was creepy back when I read it in 1983. Now it doesn't seem like as big a deal.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline metaldomdom

« Reply #980 on: May 27, 2015, 07:28:02 PM »
It has lost some of its impact what with the internet bringing the world into our homes much like Big Brother. That shit was creepy back when I read it in 1983. Now it doesn't seem like as big a deal.

I understand the appeal of the book, The goverment is always watching you, think straight, walk straight, 2 + 2 = 5. I don't know if its just me, but I thought it was more science fiction. I'm not talking about laser and spaceship, just more... Like the Asimov Foundation series, it began in 1951 but it doesn't feel like it

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #981 on: May 27, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »
I understand the appeal of the book, The goverment is always watching you, think straight, walk straight, 2 + 2 = 5. I don't know if its just me, but I thought it was more science fiction. I'm not talking about laser and spaceship, just more... Like the Asimov Foundation series, it began in 1951 but it doesn't feel like it

Yeah, it gets lumped in with some of that stuff, like Farenheit 451, but it is more social commentary than sci fi, though the technology that allows big brother to watch everyone was certainly far out when the book was written. Orwell just didn't focus on that aspect.

Offline metaldomdom

« Reply #982 on: May 27, 2015, 09:08:25 PM »
Yeah, it gets lumped in with some of that stuff, like Farenheit 451, but it is more social commentary than sci fi, though the technology that allows big brother to watch everyone was certainly far out when the book was written. Orwell just didn't focus on that aspect.

It's like its there and thats it

Offline Duffman

« Reply #983 on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:04 AM »
I just read the first chapter to House of Chains last night, actually really drawn in to the new character's and looking forward to starting the new arc. I have to agree that the Bridgebruner narrative is indeed the most exciting, especially coupled with Caladan Brood's Host and the rest of the ascendant's. Book's four and five both arrived in the mail together so I plan on making quick progress during this part of the series.

You'll like Midnight Tides. So far there isn't a bad moment in the series.

Offline Chris Foley

• Staff
« Reply #984 on: May 29, 2015, 05:16:19 AM »
I thought House Of Chains had some weak spots, certainly my least favourite in the series so far, although it wasn't bad by any stretch. Midnight Tides is definitely stronger to me, just a bit of a slow start. Some really cool/hilarious characters, should be finished with it today.
STARBORN - Taking power metal to the streets.
https://www.facebook.com/starbornpower

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #985 on: June 23, 2015, 05:57:06 PM »
Skeleton Crew by Stephen King
Metal Always. Metal Only.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #986 on: June 26, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »
A Canticle for Liebowitz by Walter Miller

I was forced to read this in high school so naturally I did so under duress and purposefully disliked it. The more I thought about it over the years, the more I felt I might have given it the short shrift so reading it again from a more objective point of view.

Offline metaldomdom

« Reply #987 on: June 30, 2015, 05:45:21 PM »
Finishing The Bourne Betrayal.

Can see this as the fifth Bourne movie staring Matt Damon

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #988 on: June 30, 2015, 06:56:11 PM »
As long as it's not the guy from The Hurt Locker.

Offline metaldomdom

« Reply #989 on: June 30, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »
As long as it's not the guy from The Hurt Locker.

I don't think so. Renner's character was created for the fourth movie, but Damon is in talks for a fifth movie