Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: What's the last movie you saw?  (Read 815392 times)

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
Re: What's the last movie you saw?
« Reply #5205 on: November 01, 2017, 01:55:18 am »
Just finished Stranger Things Season 2

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #5206 on: November 01, 2017, 05:56:43 am »
How was it? I haven’t started watching that one yet. Got a couple of Australian series (“Wentworth” and “Wanted”) in progress.

Offline Nosrac1691

« Reply #5207 on: November 01, 2017, 11:28:46 am »
I thought it was really good. I just deeply love those characters. [Extremely mild spoiler] I know the Internet seems to be at war over that seventh episode though.

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #5208 on: November 01, 2017, 07:39:40 pm »
I thought it was really well-done.  There were a lot of things they could have screwed up and they didn't.  They gave every character enough to do and gave them all arcs and moments and brought it all together at the end.  7th ep is definitely a bit different, but it is just as 80s as the rest of the show, it's just an homage to different movies.  The show is usually doing Spielberg, but 7 is Walter Hill or Carpenter instead.  Plus you needed to have that arc for 11.

Offline Nosrac1691

« Reply #5209 on: November 01, 2017, 09:07:46 pm »
I thought it was really well-done.  There were a lot of things they could have screwed up and they didn't.  They gave every character enough to do and gave them all arcs and moments and brought it all together at the end.  7th ep is definitely a bit different, but it is just as 80s as the rest of the show, it's just an homage to different movies.  The show is usually doing Spielberg, but 7 is Walter Hill or Carpenter instead.  Plus you needed to have that arc for 11.

Well said. While I can understand some saying that episode 7 is a bit jarring, it in no way deserves the backlash it's getting. I applaud the Duffer Brothers for trying something different while not going crazy. Something like that could've went off the rails on a lesser show.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:23:55 pm by Nosrac1691 »

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #5210 on: November 01, 2017, 10:00:25 pm »
Well said. While I can understand some saying that episode 7 is a bit jarring, it in no way deserves the backlash it's getting. I applaud the Duffer Brothers for trying something different while not going crazy. Something like that could've went off the rails on a lesser show.

People don't understand how hard it is, so they don't realize how good they are at it on this show.  When you have a big cast, you can ride that through the middle of the story on separate tracks: these characters here, these two here, this one off on her own for a while.  But when you come to the end and you have to weave all those threads together and not have anyone be forgotten or feel superfluous, it is really hard.  I have had to do it several times in books and I am not convinced I have ever pulled it off right.

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #5211 on: November 04, 2017, 02:58:07 pm »
Finally saw Spider-Man: Homecoming and it was better than I expected, certainly the best Spider-Man movie.

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #5212 on: November 25, 2017, 09:48:37 pm »
Murder on the Orient Express

Never read the original, but I get the feeling this story worked a lot better as a book.  Whether or not it does, the movie is a bit boring for the most part.
Metal Always. Metal Only.

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #5213 on: November 25, 2017, 10:25:58 pm »
Saw The Dark Tower and it was much better than I expected.

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #5214 on: November 25, 2017, 11:48:26 pm »
Saw The Dark Tower and it was much better than I expected.
Really?  I heard it was abominable by practically everyone, King fan or otherwise.

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #5215 on: November 26, 2017, 03:32:09 am »
Really?  I heard it was abominable by practically everyone, King fan or otherwise.

I liked it.  It wasn't a direct adaptation, and I felt like it worked on its own merits.  But then I only liked the first book in that series.  I read the second one, hated it, and then quit.

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #5216 on: November 26, 2017, 11:02:40 am »
I liked it.  It wasn't a direct adaptation, and I felt like it worked on its own merits.  But then I only liked the first book in that series.  I read the second one, hated it, and then quit.
Yeah, the second book is pretty awful.  The third one is better, but still has a number of serious issues and the overall problem of abandoning the trashy western side of the world that made the first so cool.

OT: Kidnap
Pretty generic thriller, not awful, but no real reason to see it.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #5217 on: December 02, 2017, 10:08:27 am »
My wife just finished Stranger Things and loved it but the kid with the curly hair is so annoying in those Verizon commercials I can't bring myself to watch  :lol

Pacific Rim (again)

I stumbled on it while flipping channels and it was at the beginning so it sucked me right in. I don't even know why I like this movie as it is what my last boss called "T & A - testosterone and adrenaline" and nothing more but damn, it's fun. Looking forward to the new one being even more awesomely indifferent to making any sense whatsoever.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #5218 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:10 pm »
It (2017)

Not only better than the original miniseries, but also quite good in its own right.

Offline Dragonchaser

• Staff
  • Ghost In The Ruins
« Reply #5219 on: December 04, 2017, 03:34:36 pm »
It (2017)

Not only better than the original miniseries, but also quite good in its own right.

One of my favorite books ever. Not sure I want to see this.