Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Death Metal Thread  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
Re: Death Metal Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 04:27:34 am »
Hooded Menace just put out a new one.

Offline Noumenon

• As above, so below
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2017, 11:57:12 am »
Listening to Morbid Angel's Gateways to Annihilation for the first time. I've listened to their first three albums for years and avoided the later stuff after hearing Heretic and deciding it was shit, but this is my first time hearing Gateways. It's funny to hear how influential this album has been. My first thought was, "Ah, that's where Behemoth got the sound for Zos Kia Kultus." I like Behemoth's woodsy black metal stuff better than their death metal output (yeah, I'm one of those three guys).

Gateways was the last MA album that wasn't a complete turd. What the fuck happened, Trey?

Offline ReignInBloodyGore

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2017, 01:36:03 am »
Listening to Morbid Angel's Gateways to Annihilation for the first time. I've listened to their first three albums for years and avoided the later stuff after hearing Heretic and deciding it was shit, but this is my first time hearing Gateways. It's funny to hear how influential this album has been. My first thought was, "Ah, that's where Behemoth got the sound for Zos Kia Kultus." I like Behemoth's woodsy black metal stuff better than their death metal output (yeah, I'm one of those three guys).

Gateways was the last MA album that wasn't a complete turd. What the fuck happened, Trey?
I personally didn't like Gateways and found it unlistenable. However, I am all about Altars of Madness. No album was similar to it in their discography.  And I also loved Covenant. For me, the last good album was Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, although I admit it has some boring moments for me on it.  I somehow didn't like Blessed are the Sick or Donination at all. 
Soon I'm going to get to hear the new MA album. I hope it's at least as good as Formulas.

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2017, 02:54:21 am »
I personally didn't like Gateways and found it unlistenable. However, I am all about Altars of Madness. No album was similar to it in their discography.  And I also loved Covenant. For me, the last good album was Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, although I admit it has some boring moments for me on it.  I somehow didn't like Blessed are the Sick or Donination at all. 
Soon I'm going to get to hear the new MA album. I hope it's at least as good as Formulas.

It's not.

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2017, 05:50:39 am »
I’ve listened to the new one a few times and it’s pretty damn bland.

Offline Noumenon

• As above, so below
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2017, 08:15:50 am »
I know Altars and Blessed get a lot of press but my favorite from MA is Covenant. It's the plac where Trey's weird spidery guitar technique is still fully present, but more, I dunno, "mature?" I feel like he perfected his style on that album with World of Shit, God of Emptiness, etc, and never really approached that peak again. Not to say there was nothing good on Formulas but Trey peaked as a guitarist on Covenant.

I tried listening to their newest. I mean, I guess it's better than Illum Divina Shitpilus Clusterfuckans or whatever it was called. But I expect better out of MA than mediocre death metal, which is what the new album is. The legends have to do better than "don't suck and make rock-and-roll techno bullshit."

When an old band wants to return to form, they have to reinvent themselves while staying true to their old style, which is a pretty tall order. That's why so few of them do so successfully. An old band can't just return to their glory days and make an album just like old times, because that kind of effort is usually limp-wristed or disappointing because it lacks the context that made the old albums great. That's why Obituary, for example, doesn't impress with their "return to form" because that old sound they had kicked ass due to being cutting edge at the time, and it no longer is.

A successful re-invention or return to form looks something like Celtic Frost's Monotheist album. Monotheist kicked ass precisely because they returned to the spirit of their old music with a new aesthetic, and both were authentic, so we got a badass album out of it. And yeah, I think Monotheist is a worthy addition to CF's catalogue. I think it's on the same level as Morbid Tales or To Mega Therion, in the final analysis, because it's fundamentally the same thing with a different skin.

Offline Luxi

• Staff
  • "SADISTIC FUCKING INTENT!!!"
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2017, 12:18:55 pm »
I’ve listened to the new one a few times and it’s pretty damn bland.

Indeed... Nothing happens on this new M.A. record. What a pity!

Yes, it's heavy, brutal and all that - and naturally better than a disaster called Illud Divinum Insanus, but unfortunately that isn't saying much I am afraid...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:43:24 am by Luxi »
"Live for today... tomorrow never comes".

Offline ReignInBloodyGore

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2017, 12:26:26 pm »
I know Altars and Blessed get a lot of press but my favorite from MA is Covenant. It's the plac where Trey's weird spidery guitar technique is still fully present, but more, I dunno, "mature?" I feel like he perfected his style on that album with World of Shit, God of Emptiness, etc, and never really approached that peak again. Not to say there was nothing good on Formulas but Trey peaked as a guitarist on Covenant.

I tried listening to their newest. I mean, I guess it's better than Illum Divina Shitpilus Clusterfuckans or whatever it was called. But I expect better out of MA than mediocre death metal, which is what the new album is. The legends have to do better than "don't suck and make rock-and-roll techno bullshit."

When an old band wants to return to form, they have to reinvent themselves while staying true to their old style, which is a pretty tall order. That's why so few of them do so successfully. An old band can't just return to their glory days and make an album just like old times, because that kind of effort is usually limp-wristed or disappointing because it lacks the context that made the old albums great. That's why Obituary, for example, doesn't impress with their "return to form" because that old sound they had kicked ass due to being cutting edge at the time, and it no longer is.

A successful re-invention or return to form looks something like Celtic Frost's Monotheist album. Monotheist kicked ass precisely because they returned to the spirit of their old music with a new aesthetic, and both were authentic, so we got a badass album out of it. And yeah, I think Monotheist is a worthy addition to CF's catalogue. I think it's on the same level as Morbid Tales or To Mega Therion, in the final analysis, because it's fundamentally the same thing with a different skin.

I fully agree with Covenant being more mature than Altars.  It is ultimately the guitarwork that put it high on my list.  Otherwise, I prefer Altars for the vocals and its slightly more thrash-oriented approach, being the big thrash fan I am. 

Speaking of Obituary's latest, that new album begins with two of their most solid tracks they've ever recorded.  Doesn't even sound like Obituary in some way.  But once track 3 hits, you go back into that slow and familiar territory, which as you suggested, doesn't have the same impact that it did back in the Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death days.  But damn was I impressed with the first two tracks off the new one!!!

Yeah...I've heard snips of the new Morbid Angel already, and bland is about as good as I can describe it.  Sigh.  To be honest, I didn't expect anything good anyway, but there's always a hope.

Offline Luxi

• Staff
« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2017, 01:39:27 pm »
Here's excellent Deathgrind from Finland... GALVANIZER is the name of these Finnish deathgrinders - and here's a teaser video for their upcoming debut album, titled Sanguine Vigil, to be released early 2018.

Offline Luxi

• Staff
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2017, 03:56:35 am »
Los Angeles, CA based Death Metal outfit is definitely worth checking out...

RISE - Opus Requiem