Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Bands that got you into heavier form of music when you were a kid  (Read 493 times)

Offline Luxi

• Staff
  • "SADISTIC FUCKING INTENT!!!"
Let's get another poll going on, inspired by a few other topics that people have posted on this forum already...

Name five Metal (or just heavier sounding) bands that you could say turned you into a metalhead when you were a kid... And if possible, also explain why these bands had such a huge influence on you in your childhood.

Off the top of my head I could say the first two bands that sounded super-heavy - and super-cool for this kid named Luxi, at the age of maybe 8 or 9, were Deep Purple (1) and Uriah Heep (2). I was listening to the albums from them at a local library when I was a kid, with a huge, corny-looking headphones on of course.  :D

After those bands, I soon found such names as Judas Priest (3), Motörhead (4) and AC/DC (5) that all made me even more excited regarding all kinds of heavier shit that there was around at that time. The rest is pretty much history... 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:19:13 am by Luxi »
"Live for today... tomorrow never comes".

Offline Eternal_Sorrow

Re: Metal bands that got you into heavier form of music when you were a kid
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 02:17:52 am »
Dont know if I can really name 5, but my Dad being in the music industry led me to alot of harder rock.  Things like Jethro Tull, The Strawbs, and Supertramp were all I heard growing up.  Then at like 9 years old I randomly got dragged to a Nirvana concert with him, and not long after I heard Yngwie Malmsteen for the first time and fell in love with anything heavy and guitar driven!!

So I guess i should thank my Dad, more so then any particular bands or albums!

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
Re: Metal bands that got you into heavier form of music when you were a kid
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:53:34 am »
KISS - the guitars and the image
Boston - the awesome guitar sound and lead work
AC/DC - Back in Black was played constantly in 1980
Led Zeppelin - the mix of heavier stuff with acoustic music
Black Sabbath - the first Metal band, my cousin played them for me and while I didn't like them at first, it opened the door for heavier music
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline PowerMetal59

• Solidarity, For the Union Made Us Strong
Re: Bands that got you into heavier form of music when you were a kid
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:17 am »
Looking back there are so many, I can easily pick five but of course I would be leaving out so many.

KiSS - Their studio stuff did them no justice, live I concur with Mike, the heaviness of the guitars, the imagery with the pyro and makeup and being from Detroit when they would come out to Detroit Rock City the heart pounding energy and emotion , really nothing compared at that time.
Rush - The godfathers of early Prog, the songwriting brilliance and the raw power they created with just three guys was incredible, again their live shows were a spectacle and Neil Peart was the greatest drummer of his generation. I have probably listened to 2112 and Xanadu a thousand times in my life.
UFO - This band always flew slightly under the radar in the U.S. but were a major influence for me, Michael Schenker is a guitar god. Live they were as heavy as anyone in the 70's just check out Strangers in the Night for proof.
Cheap Trick - That first album is iconic with me and my friends, their stage persona with the two normal looking rockers and the two dorky looking characters was funny as hell, Robin Zander's voice was one of the best in the hard rock scene and is often overlooked, still going strong today.
AC/DC - It is like there were two great bands in one, the early Bon Scott era band, followed by the Brian Johnson band. I place them here rather than Black Sabbath because of an indelible memory from a front row concert in 79 just weeks after the release of Back in Black when the lights lowered and the bell sounded for Hells Bells followed by the rush of the stage from the crowed behind us (saved my buddies future wife from being trampled) followed by being showered by Angus's sweat all night because of his youthful non stop movement across the stage for the entire two hour show left a permanent stamp on me.

Honorable mentions from that era because there were so many great influences:
Queen, Styx, Early Van Halen, Early Aerosmith, the first Montrose album, Blue Oyster Cult, Angel and the great Deep Purple and Black Sabbath and many more.

Offline ReignInBloodyGore

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:55:13 pm »
Growing up in central Arkansas, I knew no one who was into Metal. Just a small group of punk fans and that was about it. So my route to Metal was a weird and completely unguided one for the most part.

Shortly after I finally got my first CD player, I hit up a local pawn shop which had tons of used CDs for $1-$3. I just picked two albums up by random.  One was Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory, which just looked cool to me.  I got incredibly hooked to the album but now I can't really go back to it. Haha! 
The other CD I picked up that day was Fear Factory- Obsolete, which ultimately had more staying power. I still dig this album, although I didn't like the clean vocals on it as I didn't like Burton's singing voice.  I also just picked up this album by accident. And having never listened to music on the radio or anywhere prior to this, these two albums were truly my start to listening to music.

Because these were so monumental to me, I started trying to listen to the modern rock station near me, and began to realize that I mostly found bands that just sing to be boring. I would hear Papa Roach's Suffocation song on the radio and get excited about the part where he belts out a few screams at the end. I began to realize here that what really pushed me to Metal the most was my interest in less familiar vocal abilities.

A friend let me listen to his new CD which was Thrice- The Illusion of Safety, which was almost metalcore, but still in a punk shell or something. I got so into it because of all the screaming and high energy. 

I never had any real Metal guidance. I just bought records by the look. Many were unmemorable, but some were amazing. I got Cradle of Filth- Damnation and a Day and was floored by how dark and evil and intense that record was. Fell in love with it. And that was when my interest in metal started to find guidance. At that point I started looking at The Metal Crypt, which I found by accident while bored sitting at a work computer at a "go to work with parents" day.  On this site I seeked out all the black Metal I could.  But, I could never find any of those albums in stores in Arkansas. Ultimately, I had to go back to buying CDs by their covers again, which was still fun.

Probably the final metal album I'll mention that really got me deeper into metal was one I got later, but that was Entombed- Left Hand Path, which I only knew because I felt strangely compelled to seek out after seeing the title track music video on Nuclear Blast's DVD compilation "Monsters of Death Volume 1."  The album was so hard for me to understand but the more I listened the more I understood the madness. And today, I'm always looking for something new to help recreate the level of interest I found in Left Hand Path.

But yeah, that's about it in a nutshell.  I basically got where I am based on my interest in vocal styles that were less common to me. I grew up hearing my grandma's country music and heard modern country music on the school bus everyday, so I just wanted something very different.  I also got into Power Metal for a good two years or so, but ultimately I preferred more abrasive Metal.

That discovery route was fun. Wish I could re-do it with the same level of excitement.

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 09:53:23 am »
For me, i think a lot of what got me into heavy metal was my dad (he liked heavy metal at the time), and the fact that my parents did everything they could to not let me listen to it.

I remember trying to get my hands on my dad's Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith CD, and he would always turn the stereo off and take the CD. I always wanted to listen to that kind of music, partly curiosity and partly because i liked it. I listened to anything heavy i could get my hands on, most of the time that was hair nation on sirius XM. My first CD's my parents let me have were Motley Crue's greatest hits, Crazy world by Scorpions (cassette tape), scorpions greatest hits, and twisted sister's a twisted christmas.   Guitar hero also played a part in getting me into good metal, such as Through the Fire and the Flames. I listened to the album ultra beatdown everyday on the way to school and back. I'd search it up on youtube and go through all the related stuff, Iced Earth, Metallica, Megadeth, any generic power metal, etc...

One of the songs that got me into extreme metal was Napalm Death's "On the Brink of Extinction". I remember seeing that on liquid metal and thinking, that song title sounds so awesome, i just have to like it. Eventually i got into the death metal vocals (amon amarth's cry of the blackbird helped too). When i was 18 i found this site, and have spent the last 7 years here, reading just about every review i can.

Oh yeah, and  i was a huge poison fan when i was 12.

TL;DR

Scorpions - Greatest hits & crazy world
Poison - Greatest Hits
Like every hair band - lol
Megadeth - Killing is my business
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Dragonforce - UltraBeatdown, Inhuman Rampage
Napalm Death - On the Brink of Extinction

Offline metal_xxx

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 03:53:16 am »
For me this list will be kind of boring. I was born in '89 and grew up during not-so-good years in terms of metal compared with the golden age.

Although I hate to admit it, Metallica - s/t was my first proper exposure to metal back when I was 12-13 years old. I remember getting Master of Puppets soon after and hiding it from my religious parents. I liked both a lot, and remember being super fascinated by Kirk Hammett's solo on Damage Inc. Not so long after that I saw Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio on national television late at night when I was supposed to be in bed and I absolutely loved it. I listened exclusively to Iron Maiden for years and years after that, and dropped Metallica entirely, and they are still out of favor to be honest.

My first exposure to "harsh" vocals was, like the shitkid I kind of was back then, In Flames and Children of Bodom. I realize that I am kind of ashamed by this now considering what both of those bands became (garbage),
 but I remember getting Clayman and Follow the Reaperat the age of around 16, thinking to myself I had gone full-on satanist, and that my parents would disown me (they didn't). The first black metal album I liked was Enslaved - Isa, I think, although I struggle to remember exactly when I got into them. I think it was around the release of Ruun, and I remember seeing them live in my hometown of Bergen at an underage event (they are very cool like that). I could mention several other bands that have had some sort of influence on me, such as Kamelot, Pagan's Mind, Moonsorrow, Bathory, Slayer, Overkill, Kreator etc. but not to the same extent as those I mentioned.

TL;DR

Iron Maiden
Metallica
In Flames :oops:
Children of Bodom :oops:
Enslaved

Offline SentFromValhalla

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 10:28:58 am »
Iron Maiden - I was a good little Christian boy up until the age of 9 or 10, when I would regularly ask to borrow my dad's MP3 player. This was in the age of Limewire, so each artist only had a handful of songs to their name (I didn't really learn about/appreciate the concept of albums until years later). Amidst the hundreds of praise and worship and Christian rock titles there were 2 songs that stood out, mysterious and foreboding: Flight of Icarus and The Trooper. Holy fucking shit, I was just completely unprepared for that level of heaviness, but it awoke something deep within me. Anyways one day my mom caught little me rocking out and I got an earful.

Foo Fighters - I guess this was kind of a step back, but just before the release of "In Your Honor" I became addicted to these guys. Dave Grohl became my idol, and though I found out he was once part of the hugely successful and popular Nirvana, I could never get into them. Naturally I was more attracted to the darker, heavier side of Foo Fighters, songs like "Enough Space", "In Your Honor", "Hell" are quasi-metal.

Metallica - Pretty self explanatory. In my early high school years, these guys were all the rage. I remember a couple of kids I knew got tickets to see them live in Toronto, and I desperately tried to go with them but in the end I couldn't pull it off. It wasn't long before all of the metalheads in my grade moved on to shit like dubstep and ska.

Becoming the Archetype - An awkward phase I went through, I guess it was an attempt to hang on to the religion I knew I was becoming disillusioned with. I could throw in other Christian metal such as Demon Hunter, Living Sacrifice, and even Underoath (ugh), but BTH was the best in my eyes. Honestly if you can get past the subtle-as-a-sledgehammer religious lyrics, their first few albums aren't THAT bad (I still listen to them on the rare occasion :peep: )

Amon Amarth - For some strange reason I bought Twilight of the Thunder God on iTunes the week that it came out, with absolutely no prior knowledge of the band. The moment I heard the opening title track, I knew I was home. I stayed up that night with the album playing on repeat until the sun came up. Over the next few months I worked my way backwards through their discography until I reached their first album, my namesake and to this day my epitome of metal.

If I could add one more it would be either Bathory (Hammerheart instilled in me the spirituality of metal), Wintersun (I listened to s/t every day for like a year straight when I first discovered it), or Finsterforst (I am thoroughly convinced that Rastlos is the greatest album ever made)

Offline SentFromValhalla

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 11:14:31 am »
Guitar hero also played a part in getting me into good metal, such as Through the Fire and the Flames.

Guitar Hero 3 was the shit back in the day. Such a good setlist, I feel like it was the gateway to metal for a lot of folks.
Whenever my little brother wanted to play I would turn on Raining Blood  :headbang:

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 12:06:36 pm »
Stuff like Bon Jovi and Cinderella. Didn’t take long before I graduated to the likes of Metallica, Megadeth, Kreator, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Voivod, Motorhead etc.