Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: What would YOU like to see here at The Metal Crypt?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Sirliftsalot48

Re: What would YOU like to see here at The Metal Crypt?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 09:05:01 am »
Hey board members... Wake up, and feel free to participate in this by dropping in any suggestions that you would want to see on this site in the future, ok?
I feel the same as many others about concert reviews.  I think the recent shows thread is perfect for discussion and little mini reviews of shows.

I'm not a huge fan of "demo of the week".  I like the idea of it, but I've never found demos to be something I actually enjoy.  Demos tend to simply be an indicator of potential to produce something great and almost never actually something great in itself.  A while back we did album of the week and tried to pick lesser known albums.  I really liked that and remember finding quite a few excellent bands that seemed to have fallen through the cracks.

I really like the color scheme for the forum.  It is easy to read and follow.  As Sargon mentioned, the white text on black background does make it difficult reading the longer editorials and interviews.  The recent interviews and editorials have been excellent, so if it could be a little less strain on the eyes to read them, it would be nice.

I've always liked the ease of finding things on the site and that there aren't any unnecessary pictures or icons.  I really like how the only pictures on the front page are album art and the site logo.  It keeps things very neat and organized while still being able to display a lot of easy to access content.  I think the album art could be a little larger.  I'm not sure if there's a way to scale images and headers, but the site looks a little bare on my 1440p monitor.  However, on my 768p laptop display it looks perfectly proportioned.

Offline ReignInBloodyGore

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 12:55:13 am »
I don't have much to contribute simply because other than my previously donated ideas, I get everything I need from this site.

I wanted to throw in my two cents for the unsigned release of the month idea. I think it's a great idea. I also want to say that I think one per week could get exhausting for those involved in the process of finding, nominating, and choosing an album of the week after several times.  I only feel this way because I am truly devoted to finding hidden gems among the well-known bands, and my motivation levels for seeking them out go in and out of high productivity levels. It's not that my love of metal bands is on and off, but rather it gets tiring after weeks. Therefore, I don't think one per month is too few personally.  However, once per two weeks isn't as rough to keep up with I think. I think a bi-weekly best unsigned effort could be great.

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 06:14:06 am »
I am working with Michel on a way to make this idea doable without adding a lot of work, at least until we see if it takes off  :super:
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 01:49:56 pm »
I am working with Michel on a way to make this idea doable without adding a lot of work, at least until we see if it takes off  :super:

Maybe have a separate submission channel, so bands would submit their demos to that, and we reviewers would not have to wade through our promos looking for unsigned bands to consider.

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 02:17:37 pm »
Maybe have a separate submission channel, so bands would submit their demos to that, and we reviewers would not have to wade through our promos looking for unsigned bands to consider.

In talking to Michel the demo/unsigned bands feature (whatever it ends up looking like) is on the list but probably won't be implemented right away. Keep the ideas coming.

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 05:38:16 am »
Right. At the moment I'm especially looking for ideas regarding the layout and presentation so that once I'm done rewriting the back-end, I'll know what to attack on the front-end. It's still important to suggest other things so the most interesting/feasible ones can be taken into account during the rewrite. Just keep in mind that the first order of business is to reimplement the existing features.

Speaking of which, I removed the Links feature a few days ago. Now there's a section that was neglected. 8)

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 11:51:17 am »
I don't have much to contribute simply because other than my previously donated ideas, I get everything I need from this site.

I couldn't agree with this more.
This site is great, simple to use, and has all the information i care about. Most of the time when i come here, i just hit the home page, click on the most recent reveiw and read it.

What could be helpful, is when i click on the most recent review, there is an arrow at the top so i can hit the arrow and go to the next review. Kind of like a skip track button. Currently you have to back out and click the next one on the list.

Hope that makes sense.

The bar at the top would look like

<Previous review  - band/Album - Click here to read the next review >

{body of the review}

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 05:01:48 pm »
That's pretty easy to go.

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 09:06:16 pm »
Hey, yeah, that's a good idea.

Offline eternaljester81

• Staff
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 01:58:23 pm »
What would everyone think about a "quick hits" type of section. I'm thinking of something where multiple brief reviews (a couple sentences) could be posted in one article for more obscure/underground releases. This would allow even more releases to be covered, and hopefully introduce readers to bands they otherwise would miss. I've got more ideas on this, if anyone is interested.

Offline metaldomdom

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 09:12:09 pm »
What would everyone think about a "quick hits" type of section. I'm thinking of something where multiple brief reviews (a couple sentences) could be posted in one article for more obscure/underground releases. This would allow even more releases to be covered, and hopefully introduce readers to bands they otherwise would miss. I've got more ideas on this, if anyone is interested.

I like this idea. Been coming here for 15 years, never had a problem. I don't have any big ideas (I'm really not creative lol). Probably those ideas have already been said but maybe putting more emphasis on the reviews. Bigger covers. Damn already run out of ideas lol

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:43 pm »

I feel like the Current Playlist thread does something like what you are talking about. Remember, any new feature has to have content created/added by someone. Unless I'm not understanding the gist of your idea...

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 05:54:16 am »
This is similar to what I used to see in some printed fanzines. Since they printed what, maybe a couple of issues a year, they├Ęd have a few promos with long-ish reviews and then quick-jabs that were just a couple of sentences so they could cover more material in their limited space (and time, of course). Interestingly, some of the best reviews I've read were very short ones like that. The absolute essentials and usually very honest. You've got a couple of lines, there's no room for verbal masturbation.

One that still cracks me up to this day - many years ago in Slayer Magazine. I don't remember the album but the review was "I don't like this.". :lol. Of course they usually were longer than that.

I actually like the idea but, as MetalMike said, we need people to write them. It's not everyone who can write some meaningful in a sentence or two. Hell, I've seen reviews the length of a book (on M-A - some people there write too much to say nothing) that really didn't tell me much.

Offline eternaljester81

• Staff
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 12:29:45 pm »
I spend a lot of time on both Bandcamp and Spotify just seaking out little known releases, and would love to do something like this. It could even show up in the normal list of recent reviews, perhaps with it's own graphic in place of an album cover. Each one could be like five or so short reviews. They could be genre specific per entry, or just whatever the writer wished to include (any preferences there?). If they were to be done by genre, there could be specific graphic for each, perhaps as cover art spoof of sorts.

And when it comes to short reviews, nothing beats Sargon's review of Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt 2! "Sucks. Don't bother." It gets me every time.

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:10 pm »
I spend a lot of time on both Bandcamp and Spotify just seaking out little known releases, and would love to do something like this. It could even show up in the normal list of recent reviews, perhaps with it's own graphic in place of an album cover. Each one could be like five or so short reviews. They could be genre specific per entry, or just whatever the writer wished to include (any preferences there?). If they were to be done by genre, there could be specific graphic for each, perhaps as cover art spoof of sorts.

And when it comes to short reviews, nothing beats Sargon's review of Dream Theater's Metropolis Pt 2! "Sucks. Don't bother." It gets me every time.

If you're willing to take it on, that's cool. Obviously Michel is going to focus on the existing things for the site before creating anything new but in the meantime can you send me a sample of what you think it should look like? I have a thought that might fit in the existing framework we have yet still allow you to do this. Check your personal message for contact info.