Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: What would YOU like to see here at The Metal Crypt?  (Read 1401 times)

Offline MetalMike

What would YOU like to see here at The Metal Crypt?
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:13:58 pm »
The Metal Crypt is due for some updates and we would like to know what you, the readers, would like to see in terms of look, functionality, etc. We are open to all suggestions but keep in mind not everything that would be nice will be practical while easy changes may not make sense. All suggestions will be considered (some longer than others  :naughty:) so let us know what you want to see. Finally, don't waste our time or yours asking for things that don't belong here. We aren't going to review Black Veil Brides or interview Slipknot. There are other places on line for that crap that are a google search away.

Help us make the BEST site on line for REAL Heavy Metal even better  :cheers:
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline Luxi

• Staff
  • "SADISTIC FUCKING INTENT!!!"
Re: What would YOU like to see here at The Metal Crypt?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:05:11 pm »
What the Crypt doesn't have, is a section for live concert reviews... Would people be interested in reading them perhaps?

What about a section that would introduce a demo band of the month?
"Live for today... tomorrow never comes".

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:39:03 pm »
I hate live concert reviews. We have a few but I find they're rarely worth it. It's the section I always skip in Terrorizer.

Offline Luxi

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 02:33:03 am »
I hate live concert reviews. We have a few but I find they're rarely worth it. It's the section I always skip in Terrorizer.

Ok, I understand.

How about creating a section for "Demo Band Of The Month" for the site? I mean, besides The Crypt is all about supporting REAL Heavy Metal/Rock bands, it's also all about supporting those REAL underground Metal bands that are hardly known but would deserve much more attention among people around the world.

New bands do need whatever stepping stones to make themselves more known for metal fans - and I think this idea might give them some more exposure for sure.   
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:37:04 am by Luxi »

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:43:10 am »
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that I like the idea of the demo band. As long as we can keep it up (i.e. getting reviewers to do it once a month).

To be clear on the live reviews, I just think that, unlike albums or DVDs for example, they're too "localized" and really don't say much. A band can put on a great show one night and suck the next for any number of reasons. I'm likely to look at a review of an album released 20 years ago, but a live show? Not really. I don't even look at reviews of live shows of bands currently touring.

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 05:43:33 am »
I agree that giving unsigned bands exposure can be a good thing. It is something we've used the Current Playlist thread for in the past and we now have the Unsigned Bands thread.

What would this feature look like and how would it be determined what band is featured each month? What are your ideas in those areas?

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 05:55:53 am »
To be clear on the live reviews, I just think that, unlike albums or DVDs for example, they're too "localized" and really don't say much. A band can put on a great show one night and suck the next for any number of reasons. I'm likely to look at a review of an album released 20 years ago, but a live show? Not really. I don't even look at reviews of live shows of bands currently touring.

The live thing is probably better suited to the Recent Shows thread given the timing.

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 06:01:08 am »
UPDATE - if you tried posting (without registering) and couldn't the "reply" button should now appear at the top right. Share your suggestions  :super:

Offline Luxi

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 11:23:28 pm »
how would it be determined what band is featured each month? What are your ideas in those areas?

Reviewers could review ANY demo band for this section that they think is worth getting more exposure on the site in their opinion. The only criteria for these demo bands would be they would be unsigned, plus of course play Metal.

We would submit these reviews for Michel the same way as we have done before, and he would collect them all together under one file, saying f.ex. "Demo bands of the month" or something. Michel would randomly put one demo band's review up in this particular section in question every month. It also would be a good thing if there was a link to this demo band's music (if available) so that people would have a chance to go listening to this demo band 'x' of the month right away. Also, a comment section for this might also be a good thing to add, right under the actual review of band 'x' because I believe at least some people also might want to leave their comments for this demo band 'x' (if it just can be done easily and is technically possible).

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 07:51:53 pm »
Eh, I am not wild about it.  The line between "Demo" and "EP" and "Self-Release" is so fluid these days.  I don't know if that would really serve much of a purpose.  Plus one per month is way too slow these days.  A month is an eternity between updates, we'd want one every week.

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 08:04:02 pm »
I'm not against it per se but I agree once a month is too infrequent. Personally, I think between submitting a review and posting on the Unsigned Bands thread, demos and such can be covered quite thoroughly.

Offline Luxi

• Staff
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 01:55:45 am »
Eh, I am not wild about it.  The line between "Demo" and "EP" and "Self-Release" is so fluid these days.  I don't know if that would really serve much of a purpose.  Plus one per month is way too slow these days.  A month is an eternity between updates, we'd want one every week.

It can be an EP, or demo or self-release - as long as this underground band 'x' is still without a record deal would be accepted for this section.

What I would like to this section to represent, band 'x' would be under spotlight on the pain page for some certain period of time. I agree perhaps one month feels like eternity but 2 weeks could be a pretty ideal period of time for these bands to get some extra exposure on the site. I believe we do want to support these underground bands that are worth becoming more known, don't we? And I am 100% certain these chosen few bands would definitely appreciate our efforts to give them some extra attention on the main page, no doubt.

"Demo Band Of The Month" is perhaps a bit misleading... I think it should be re-titled as "Underground Band Of The Month" or something. People with a better English vocabulary can do some brain-storming for a more fitting title...   
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:54:59 am by Luxi »

Offline Luxi

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 02:04:47 am »
I would like to see other but the staff members only throwing in all kinds of suggestions though...

Hey board members... Wake up, and feel free to participate in this by dropping in any suggestions that you would want to see on this site in the future, ok?

... and for "Baby Metal" lovers, sorry, you can also find those bands from some other sites related to this "metal" genre. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 06:05:19 am by Luxi »

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 06:47:52 am »
UPDATE - if you tried posting (without registering) and couldn't the "reply" button should now appear at the top right. Share your suggestions  :super:

I had to kill this. For some reason guests (in this case, spammers) were able to post on all forums for some reason.

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 06:50:34 am »
I would like to see other but the staff members only throwing in all kinds of suggestions though...

Hey board members... Wake up, and feel free to participate in this by dropping in any suggestions that you would want to see on this site in the future, ok?

... and for "Baby Metal" lovers, sorry, you can also find those bands from some other sites related to this "metal" genre.

Several people have already posted in the other thread. Maybe they just don't have much to say yet. That's why I posted Sargon's proposed layout change, to get the discussion going.

I'm not really looking to add a lot more features since they then need to be "nurtured" and risk dying from neglect over time. We have a couple of interesting suggestions, which is nice. Either way I'll write them all down and they may or may not be implemented in the future. The first order of business will be to clean the database and rewrite the existing functionality and, doing that, ensure that I can add new features in the future without it being a struggle like it is now.