Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Suggestions for revamping the site  (Read 650 times)

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
Re: Suggestions for revamping the site
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 11:20:21 pm »
The suggestions thing is doable. I'll try to do that later this week.

Could just make a generally-open forum thread.

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 06:00:29 am »
If you can make the font on the link a little different so it catches readers' eyes that would help with participation.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 12:47:11 pm »
I like the site how it currently is. It is easy to navigate and like ReignInBloodyGore said, all the good information is listed on the reviews page.

I seem to be the odd one out here, but I like the white on black with the grim reaper in the background. Very cool, matches the site theme and very metal.

One thing i would like to see, is a better way to see the 5 and 5+ album reviews. It's not hard to click all reviews and sort by rating, but i think that could be improved a little. Maybe that could be expanded on so that you could see All 5, 4, 3, 2 1 star reviews.... and also into genre's, like see all thrash metal reviews, death metal reviews etc, and then see all reviewer's reviews.

I figured this site was written in PHP (right click view source) but its nice to have some confirmation lol. I use PHP at my job and this site is laid out very similar to how i do pages (click to column sort and a left bar on the side).

I dont know what database you are using, but if you are looking for albums that have an album name and no review, then you could look for something like:
SELECT *
FROM table
WHERE (albumname is not null or albumname != '') AND (review is null or ='')

The select shows you what you would be deleting before actually deleting it.
Then just wrap that up in a delete statement (make sure you have backups):

DELETE FROM table WHERE (albumname is not null or albumname != '') AND (review is null or ='')

ASP.NET should be interesting.. I learned it in school and never used it since. Visual Studio is nice to drag and drop with, but i've always preferred PHP (to be fair, that's what i use at my job)

Offline Chris Foley

• Staff
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 02:35:01 pm »
I'll second Mr. Terrible on the grays like the forum idea. I also think the perfect amount of information is given at present in our reviews, anything more proves to be extra hassle for all involved. In fact I could comfortably lose the running time, particularly since I can't seem to find a reliable indicator to it in iTunes. We normally comment if an album is too long or short.

Increasing the size of the album artwork would be nice if possible? Maybe times .5 or .75? I also wonder if now is the time to consider a comments section for reviews? I'm sure this has been discussed/vetoed in the past, and I'm not sure how much moderation would be necessary, but it could make for a larger community.

How about making a change to the font on the side bars? Something along the lines of unity with font across the website on the whole? Also, what about an album of the month feature? Nothing too in depth, a quick whip around at the start of the month to see which staff would be on board for the last month's AOTM, and then a simple quick paragraph and if necessary a couple of honorable mentions. I love the editorial activity of late, and this could further that.

The suggestions thing sounds nice, maybe taking the route of a "you may also like" type thing. Or maybe something personal to that reviewer. For instance if they reviewed a black metal album positively a few links could be generated to albums in that style scored similarly?

Just food for thought. This is one of the best sites on the internet, and a lot of it stems from the underground charm. Wouldn't want to see any drastic changes.

Offline MetalMike

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 05:51:23 pm »

I think we need something on the front page to catch readers eyes. I wouldn't want to assume people will navigate to the boards and look for a suggestion thread. An open thread at the end of the link would be the way to go.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:24 pm »

It would have to be a separate forum on the board. I can't set permissions on a single thread. But that could work. Just have to be wary of spambots.

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 06:45:08 pm »
I seem to be the odd one out here, but I like the white on black with the grim reaper in the background. Very cool, matches the site theme and very metal.

I like it too, but change could be good if I can find something that looks good. Gotta look evil though. :naughty:

One thing i would like to see, is a better way to see the 5 and 5+ album reviews. It's not hard to click all reviews and sort by rating, but i think that could be improved a little. Maybe that could be expanded on so that you could see All 5, 4, 3, 2 1 star reviews.... and also into genre's, like see all thrash metal reviews, death metal reviews etc, and then see all reviewer's reviews.

Yeah, I've been thinking about such things for years but always waited "until we clean up the weird genres from the database". I guess the time has come. Well, it's going to take a while to do this redesign. I work on computers all day so sometimes I need a break in the evening plus I'm a director on my condo board and that takes some time away as well.

I dont know what database you are using, but if you are looking for albums that have an album name and no review, then you could look for something like:

That would be the basis of it, but I also need to make sure that the albums are not in the database just for the sake of another section such as best-of - i.e. the album is in the database and used on the site, but it wasn't actually reviewed. Unfortunately I was a bit lazy with the database model and introduced a couple of ways to trip over myself. :lol Really it's just a matter of sitting down and doing it.

ASP.NET should be interesting.. I learned it in school and never used it since. Visual Studio is nice to drag and drop with, but i've always preferred PHP (to be fair, that's what i use at my job)

I tend to be too undisciplined with PHP, but I like it overall. It's really to help learn the new stuff for work that I figured I could use ASP.NET for this project here. Plus I've been using .NET at work since late 2002 (except for a couple of years in PowerBuilder), so I know my way around the basic framework. I think I'll have less of a hard time being disciplined with it. I don't drag and drop much with Visual Studio. On occasion I'd start a WPF form by drag and dropping the main controls and then finish everything by hand. I tend not to like the code the designer generates though it's gotten much, much better on that front. I don't know about the designer for web apps though. I used it very briefly at a course back in 2008 but things have changed A LOT since then.

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 06:59:24 pm »
I'll second Mr. Terrible on the grays like the forum idea. I also think the perfect amount of information is given at present in our reviews, anything more proves to be extra hassle for all involved. In fact I could comfortably lose the running time, particularly since I can't seem to find a reliable indicator to it in iTunes. We normally comment if an album is too long or short.

I just grab it from M-A (most albums have it) or look at the running time on my media player (I use Clementine; it doesn't suck like iTunes which sucks sucks sucks). I like having it there. I don't know why, I just do. :lol

Increasing the size of the album artwork would be nice if possible? Maybe times .5 or .75?

That's relatively easily done (unless I can't find an image of the cover art big enough), but going back to redo the existing reviews would be a major undertaking. You may have noticed that older reviews have smaller artwork. I originally used 120x120 and now 160x160. I can't blow them up because they'll be blurry and look like crap. The artwork on the main page is displayed at 70x70 which is probably fine still, but I'll see once it's time to redesign it if anything a bit bigger would look good. I wouldn't want to steal too much screen real estate from other content on that page.

I also wonder if now is the time to consider a comments section for reviews? I'm sure this has been discussed/vetoed in the past, and I'm not sure how much moderation would be necessary, but it could make for a larger community.

I've seen some sites that do that and I was rarely impressed by the quality of the comments. It would also require some moderation effort and, with nearly 9,500 reviews already, that could be a bitch.

How about making a change to the font on the side bars? Something along the lines of unity with font across the website on the whole? Also, what about an album of the month feature? Nothing too in depth, a quick whip around at the start of the month to see which staff would be on board for the last month's AOTM, and then a simple quick paragraph and if necessary a couple of honorable mentions. I love the editorial activity of late, and this could further that.

Not sure what you mean about the font on the side bars but that's likely to change with help from Sargon the Fontmeister.

Album of the month could be cool if the reviewers are on board. I also don't want to turn this place into one that puts too much demand on the reviewers like a certain site that shall remain nameless. :deal:

The suggestions thing sounds nice, maybe taking the route of a "you may also like" type thing. Or maybe something personal to that reviewer. For instance if they reviewed a black metal album positively a few links could be generated to albums in that style scored similarly?

Hmmm... Not sure, but I'm taking notes.

Just food for thought. This is one of the best sites on the internet, and a lot of it stems from the underground charm. Wouldn't want to see any drastic changes.

I don't want to go crazy, just clean it up and refresh it somewhat without it turning into a nightmare for visitors. Also I have to write that stuff and maintain it, so that'll help keep things relatively simple. :lol

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 07:05:11 pm »
I've created a new forum for suggestions. No registration required. I guess the best thing to go about it for now is to create a separate thread to make it easier to discuss some suggestions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:54:04 pm by MetalCrypt »