Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: New Editorial: Influential Metal Albums Part I  (Read 547 times)

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
New Editorial: Influential Metal Albums Part I
« on: July 21, 2017, 08:11:35 AM »
New editorial by MetalMikey and Sargounet le Terrible: http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/editorials.php?editorialid=41  :naughty:

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
Re: New Editorial: Influential Metal Albums Part I
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 11:19:05 AM »
It seems oddly fitting the Metalmike covered the earlier, more mainstream releases and Sargon did the later, more underground releases.  Can't wait for more :thumbup:
Metal Always. Metal Only.

Offline Omni

• Staff
  • But, what ends when the symbols shatter?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:58:38 PM »
You should have mentioned how Cirith Ungol is one of Celtic Frost's main influences, as stated by Tom G. Warrior himself. That is super vital information!

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »
It seems oddly fitting the Metalmike covered the earlier, more mainstream releases and Sargon did the later, more underground releases.  Can't wait for more :thumbup:

The fact that I started the ball rolling has something to do with why I had more of those on the list. I'm sure Sargon could have hit them as well. His take on the more underground releases was vital to this working. The 2nd edition is coming soon then hopefully we will move into the next 10 years or so.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »
You should have mentioned how Cirith Ungol is one of Celtic Frost's main influences, as stated by Tom G. Warrior himself. That is super vital information!

I never heard that.  Would seem odd, as the earliest CF works are very close in time to CU.

Offline Omni

• Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
I never heard that.  Would seem odd, as the earliest CF works are very close in time to CU.

He wrote about it in one of his books, and he and I have also discussed the band. He said that he bought Frost and Fire when it was new in 1982 and the music on that album and King of the Dead is a huge influence on him.

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »
He wrote about it in one of his books, and he and I have also discussed the band. He said that he bought Frost and Fire when it was new in 1982 and the music on that album and King of the Dead is a huge influence on him.

Well, I'm not saying he didn't say it.  But I don't hear much Frost and Fire on Hellhammer or CF stuff, and King of the Dead and Morbid Tales came out the same year.

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »
I don't remember seeing this in the Celtic Frost biography but then again it's been several years since I read it. I'm not sure I'd have paid a lot of attention to the detail either. I guess I didn't have anything to say but still felt like posting. :lol

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »
I just noticed you called us "Metalmikey" and "Sargounet le Terrible" and it made me laugh out loud  :lol

Next installment of this piece will be on its way shortly  :cheers:

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 09:37:36 AM »
 :naughty:

Offline Omni

• Staff
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:55:21 PM »
Well, I'm not saying he didn't say it.  But I don't hear much Frost and Fire on Hellhammer or CF stuff, and King of the Dead and Morbid Tales came out the same year.

The bass driven compositions and weird doomy energy of both bands is definitely pretty similar. King of the Dead was also released three whole whole months before recording sessions for Morbid Tales even began.

Celtic Frost also thanks and greets the Cirith Ungol in the liner notes for that same release, in a separate paragraph from the main thank-yous.

You can read it here:
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Rx-NqmNwFQ8/WVF_Qu22UuI/AAAAAAAAA_U/46tMcKueEVYFvgFmHJbbPGtiHUT8HJzqACLcBGAs/s1600/Morbid%2BTales%2BFront%2B%2526%2BBack%2B1984.tif
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:57:44 PM by Omni »

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
Yeah, I see he says hello to Cirith Ungol and a couple of other bands. It is interesting that in the thank yous he assures one guy that they will "never wimp out." Cold Lake, anyone?

Besides the CU entry, what do you think of the other albums on the list?

Offline Omni

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2017, 11:18:15 PM »
I like every album on the list, but you guys neglected some of my favorite trivia and info about certain albums that I will elaborate on later when I have more time. I still think that you did a great job and picked some of my favorite albums in the process.

Offline Omni

• Staff
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 11:20:13 PM »
By the way, I'm clearly a huge nerd because I know way too much about certain albums.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 05:41:05 AM »
By the way, I'm clearly a huge nerd because I know way too much about certain albums.

I think we're all a bit nerdy around here  :naughty:

Remember, we weren't going for a comprehensive review of each entry, just the reasons we feel they were influential. Perhaps if you have a more detailed story to tell about King of the Dead or another album, that might be an editorial you can do for the site.  :cheers: