Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Metal Pet Peeves  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
Re: Metal Pet Peeves
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
Yeah, I know but the fact that you have to do that is annoying. Then you have to throw away the broken plastic which is a waste. And you still have the issue of damaging the booklet.

Eh, I don't mind it.  Sometimes getting the booklet out can be a pain.

Offline Sirliftsalot48

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2017, 08:38:28 AM »
How anyone can say Cirith Ungol are one of their favorite bands is beyond me.
How anyone can say they'd rather listen to Bring Me The Horizon than Manilla Road is beyond me.   :D

On the subject of storing CDs, I purchased a couple of these and threw away all my jewel cases and digipacks.  Instead of two CDs per sleeve, I put the booklet in the front and CD in the back of each sleeve.  It saves a ton of space, is much lighter, and is easier to transport if you're moving.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2017, 09:52:55 AM »

On the subject of storing CDs, I purchased a couple of these and threw away all my jewel cases and digipacks.  Instead of two CDs per sleeve, I put the booklet in the front and CD in the back of each sleeve.  It saves a ton of space, is much lighter, and is easier to transport if you're moving.

All well and good but ultimately necessitated by shitty original storage options. I download almost exclusively (unless I'm trying to support a band by buying a cd or vinyl, none of which are ever played). I do miss the booklets but not the huge waste of plastic and frustration of storage.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline MetalCrypt

• Administrator
    • The Metal Crypt
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2017, 02:54:53 PM »
I also purchase downloads these days unless it's only available on physical media. If not for that, I'd need a lot more space for storage. I usually check the band's Bandcamp page before going to stores like Google Play, iTunes, 7Digital...

Offline Noumenon

• As above, so below
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2017, 11:58:06 PM »
Weak, watery black metal. It's hard to describe the the sound I'm thinking of - the more shoegaze-sounding stuff that tries to be Beherit but just sounds like a distant washing machine mixed with radio static. It just sounds kind of "thin." I get it that black metal is meant to sound cold, but you need some beef on that sound or else it just sounds like an angry tin can trying to play guitar. Black metal guitar can be trebly but it needs some balls - thinking Pure Holocaust, or Vukodlak in the old USBM scene for example. Or Beherit's Engram for that matter, which I thought was pretty kickass although it didn't sound like Drawing Down the Moon. DDtM was a lightning-in-a-bottle sort of deal, not the kind of thing you can do twice.

Also, all the lame "stoner" doom stuff really annoys me. Electric Wizard was okay I guess, but all of the stoner/sludge shit is either forgettable 3rd-rate Cathedral ripoffs or just not even really metal. Playing stoned hard rock in a pentatonic minor through a fuzz pedal doesn't make you Tony Iommi, or even metal, for that matter.

The endless procession of new "core" genres is irritating, but easier to ignore/avoid than the first two.

Offline Dragonchaser

• Staff
  • Ghost In The Ruins
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2017, 08:31:25 AM »
I agree with the stoner metal bit. That plain sucks.