Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Metal Pet Peeves  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Omni

• Staff
  • But, what ends when the symbols shatter?
Re: Metal Pet Peeves
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 08:57:06 pm »
Personally, I find that all later Death is plagued by lack of cohesion and seemingly random interjections of technical flash that feel totally forced. I also find Chuck's vocals and lyrics on The Sound of Perseverance to be wimpy and annoying.

Offline Eternal_Sorrow

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 08:59:46 pm »
Personally, I find that all later Death is plagued by lack of cohesion and seemingly random interjections of technical flash that feel totally forced. I also find Chuck's vocals and lyrics on The Sound of Perseverance to be wimpy and annoying.

That could all be attributed to the better and cleaner production, the last 2 albums lots alot of the grit and rawness because of it.  Their are still miles better then the Tech Death shit that plagues us today! Enough defending Death though im becoming what i hate  :lol :lol

Offline Omni

• Staff
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:43 pm »
The sound of his vocals may be somewhat influenced by the production values, but I don't think you can blame the production for the way that the instruments are played and the bad lyrics. Chuck Schuldiner also had a production role on both of them, so I'll still have to hold him responsible too.  :order:

I'll quit too, because I don't want to continue to bash a dead musician that made some music that I like.

Offline Sirliftsalot48

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2017, 08:39:23 am »
Why is no one mentioning that Chuck's actual last album was with Control Denied?  It seemed pretty clear that he wanted to move into progressive metal entirely.  I also remember reading somewhere that The Sound of Perseverance was written with the intention of being a Control Denied album, but their record label contract required another Death album.  That would explain the fairly dramatic shift towards more progressive elements and variation on vocal style heard on The Sound of Perseverance.

I like both versions of Death (including Control Denied) and I find them to be one of the few bands that transitioned nicely between styles.  Most bands turn to complete crap when they try to switch genres.  See any of the examples mentioned by Sargon.

Related to changing styles, is changing logos.  Most logo changes result in something that looks terribly boring and corresponds with a change in a band's style to be either incredibly boring or complete crap. 

Offline Luxi

• Staff
  • "SADISTIC FUCKING INTENT!!!"
!
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2017, 09:24:49 am »
Some young "metal heads" stating, "Slipknot are the BEST metal band in the world... E-V-E-R!!!!"

Jesus...!  You need a serious punishment from your fathers by even having that kind of an opinion... DAMMIT kids!!! :whip:
"Live for today... tomorrow never comes".

Offline Eternal_Sorrow

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 11:51:40 am »
My non-metal friend once trying to convince me Angus Young was the best guitar player in the world... I mean holy fucking face palm batman :(

Generally non-metal people thinking they know about metal, which leads into the way media has made the general population think metal is nothing but loud indecipherable screaming and shouting!

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 01:52:40 pm »
My non-metal friend once trying to convince me Angus Young was the best guitar player in the world... I mean holy fucking face palm batman :(

Generally non-metal people thinking they know about metal, which leads into the way media has made the general population think metal is nothing but loud indecipherable screaming and shouting!

Even most "metalheads" have absolutely no idea about metal. If you talk to them for more than 15 minutes they start bringing up stuff like Bullet for my valentine, various forms of
-core, slipknot, marilyn manson, and other poser metal.

Easy way to weed these people out is to ask "Which of the Big 4 is their favorite". If they respond metallica, most of the time, they are a poser.

Offline Chris Foley

• Staff
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 02:00:42 pm »
Interesting thread, a lot of which I would add to my own reply/agree with. Funny how this has spun off into a Death/Chuck discussion. Just weighing in on that, I'd class myself as a fan of the majority of his work, Symbolic being one of my fave extreme metal records in general. Feel that he forged his own path instead of following trends, certainly wouldn't say that he strayed from his roots.

Anyway, some contribution.

Not against b-sides/bonus tracks, but what does annoy me is cover songs. ESPECIALLY when the cover is bang smack in the middle of the album. It's less heinous when it's a non-metal song for instance Cirith Ungol's cover of "Fire" on Paradise Lost, but when it's bloody "Kill The King" in the first half of the disc I can't help but face palm. Very fortunate that the aforementioned appears on two otherwise godly discs.

Bagpipes, self explanatory. Fuck them.

Style over substance/fashion show metal fans. This is maybe more of a cultural issue as opposed to musical, but it does bleed into it. Noticed primarily in large festivals, but I think it occurs in most decent sized scenes. I guess it's kind of a hipster thing as well, essentially boils down to people looking the part despite caring for the music created by those on the t-shirts/patches/badges etc they're supporting. aka posers

Bands referring to their live shows as rituals and so on so forth, get over yourselves.

Gimmicks

There's probably some more, will post if anything more springs to mind.

Offline Eternal_Sorrow

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 07:42:33 pm »
Even most "metalheads" have absolutely no idea about metal. If you talk to them for more than 15 minutes they start bringing up stuff like Bullet for my valentine, various forms of
-core, slipknot, marilyn manson, and other poser metal.

Easy way to weed these people out is to ask "Which of the Big 4 is their favorite". If they respond metallica, most of the time, they are a poser.

I honestly dont even like any of the big 4...

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 08:04:08 pm »
I honestly dont even like any of the big 4...

Why?

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 08:05:45 pm »

In 1986 that was a germane question. Today Eternal_Sorrow's answer is the one most true fans would give. Anthrax and Slayer have released decent albums recently but Metallica and Megadeth are so far off the reservation these days.

There is a difference between Heavy Metal and heavy music.

Why?

Because they suck, for the most part. Their glory days are way in the past.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:55 pm »
In 1986 that was a germane question. Today Eternal_Sorrow's answer is the one most true fans would give. Anthrax and Slayer have released decent albums recently but Metallica and Megadeth are so far off the reservation these days.

There is a difference between Heavy Metal and heavy music.

Because they suck, for the most part. Their glory days are way in the past.

True, their glory days may be long gone, but that doesn't invalidate their classic albums. Don't mistake me for being some 40 year old dude still stuck in the golden age. I just got out of college. Generally when i would talk to people about music, if they said they like metal my icebreaker question would be to ask about the Big 4. A true fan would know who they are and be able to answer back an album or two they like. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 08:53:23 pm by PetrifiedNapkin »

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:46 pm »
Slayer put out like 2 good albums.  The rest of the "Big 4" never did anything that impressed me at all.  Anthrax and Megadeth were always terrible, and Metallica were and still are massively overrated.  Even Testament never produced anything really good, and Exodus were passable on a good day, and just on their first few albums.

Offline Omni

• Staff
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 11:37:38 pm »
Slayer put out like 2 good albums.  The rest of the "Big 4" never did anything that impressed me at all.  Anthrax and Megadeth were always terrible, and Metallica were and still are massively overrated.  Even Testament never produced anything really good, and Exodus were passable on a good day, and just on their first few albums.

I can always count on your oddball opinions to brighten my day. I am not being sarcastic at all.

Offline ReignInBloodyGore

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:32 pm »

Slayer's first four full-length albums plus Haunting the Chapel are all fantastic records for me personally, and everything after it is nearly forgettable for me.  Well, other than "War Ensemble" from Seasons in the Abyss, which is where I lost interest in their overall sound. 

But very much do I agree with the rest of your statement.  I cannot get into Megadeth or Testament at all.  Anthrax bored me, except for when it was the only decent song on the radio in whichever GTA game it was that their song from Spreading the Disease was featured in.  I love Exodus's Bonded by Blood, however.  The rest is forgettable.  And Metallica...well, I stay away from discussing it because it's pointless, but I only like the first album.  haha

So yeah, I too find myself thinking the "Big 4" are overrated.

On Topic:

I generally dislike songs that last more than 5 minutes.  It can sometimes be satisfying, but more often than not for me I find it too demanding.  Especially since I mostly listen to music on my short drives to work and back.