Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Metal Pet Peeves  (Read 936 times)

Offline Omni

• Staff
  • But, what ends when the symbols shatter?
Re: Metal Pet Peeves
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 11:48:49 PM »
My biggest and probably only pet peeve is super fans... I hate people who almost get off at just the mention of a band, and usually hate other bands in said genre cause they are not as good as theses "guys"!!  Examples of bands of this ilk, not that they are bad just their fans can be, are Cynic, Meshhugah, Dream Theater, Opeth, Rush (not as metal but fuck the super fans), Cannibal Corpse, and Death among others.

I like a few of the bands I named especially Death, but some fans are just fucking douche bags!!

I also agree with this post.

Offline Eternal_Sorrow

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 02:28:35 AM »

Offline metal_xxx

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 03:28:13 AM »
Intros and outros - 99.9% of the time these are worthless and a dirt cheap way to lengthen play-time.

Oh and, interludes - same reasons as above

Bonus tracks, especially live ones.

Live albums - Except Live after Death/Rock in Rio/Live and Dangerous and some others these strike me as completely worthless

Best-of compilations from bands that have released less than five albums

Bands that sound way worse live than on record

Generic power metal - Just doesn't work for me

Metallica worship

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 03:43:22 PM »
Can I add the guys in old Metallica shirts who say they are "into metal" but turn out not to have heard anything in the last 20 years except Load?

Along those lines, but its basically any wanna-be metal head that listens to Metallica or poser-metal and called themselves a metalhead. Can't stand people who try to talk to me about metal and all they know is garbage like Five finger death punch and avenged sevenfold.

Superfans? :D I am a death and megadeth superfan, come talk to me Omni, ill tell you why Chuck Schuldiner and Dave Mustaine are they greatest people to ever live :D  :lol :bow:

Personally, I can't stand bands that stray far from their roots/change their sound too much.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 03:46:37 PM »
Along those lines, but its basically any wanna-be metal head that listens to Metallica or poser-metal and called themselves a metalhead. Can't stand people who try to talk to me about metal and all they know is garbage like Five finger death punch and avenged sevenfold.

Superfans? :D I am a death and megadeth superfan, come talk to me Omni, ill tell you why Chuck Schuldiner and Dave Mustaine are they greatest people to ever live :D  :lol :bow:

Personally, I can't stand bands that stray far from their roots/change their sound too much.

Like Megadeth?
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 03:51:28 PM »
Like Megadeth?

Yeah, they have a couple albums that just suck, but they made a decent comeback to their sound. Endgame was good and Dystopia was great. Really looking forward to their next album.

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 05:46:32 PM »
Just...Sepultura.

Offline Omni

• Staff
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »
Chuck Schuldiner and Dave Mustaine strayed very far from their original roots in Megadeth and Death respectively.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 06:01:25 PM »
Yeah, they have a couple albums that just suck, but they made a decent comeback to their sound. Endgame was good and Dystopia was great. Really looking forward to their next album.

I guess I can't tell if you are serious about being a Megadeth super fan. They sound so different from the first few albums it might as well be a different band.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 06:31:52 PM »
Chuck Schuldiner and Dave Mustaine strayed very far from their original roots in Megadeth and Death respectively.

Chuck always remained a fan and devoted to real metal though.  I mean, who can say where he would have gone, had he lived, but given how much he hated nu-metal and all that other garbage, I don't think he would have strayed.

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 07:14:41 PM »
I guess what I meant to say, was bands that stray far from their roots and produce piles of poser crap.

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
I guess what I meant to say, was bands that stray far from their roots and produce piles of poser crap.

So: Megadeth, Metallica, Sepultura, Morbid Angel.

Offline Omni

• Staff
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »
Chuck always remained a fan and devoted to real metal though.  I mean, who can say where he would have gone, had he lived, but given how much he hated nu-metal and all that other garbage, I don't think he would have strayed.

This is probably controversial, but I feel like he probably would have continued pushing barriers in regards to how much instrumental wankery can be contained on a single album.

No offense to people who like later Death.

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:08 PM »
This is probably controversial, but I feel like he probably would have continued pushing barriers in regards to how much instrumental wankery can be contained on a single album.

No offense to people who like later Death.

Well, yeah, he got quite overly-technical later on.

Offline Eternal_Sorrow

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 08:46:05 PM »
Well, yeah, he got quite overly-technical later on.

His technicality always felt organic and fit within the framework of songs he wrote though, Necrophagist and the bands of similar ilk that spawned from Death are nothing but faceless mechanical bore fests.  When you sacrifice the soul of the music for wankery you should rethink what you're doing.