Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Metal Pet Peeves  (Read 1572 times)

Offline ReignInBloodyGore

Metal Pet Peeves
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:10:56 AM »
Mostly just a topic for fun.  What are some of your pet peeves in metal?  In other words, what occurrences in metal irritate you?  For example, maybe an overused riff used in too many songs, or maybe a vocalist who makes annoying sounds...It's a great way to get out your complaints about metal.  haha

I am so tired of intro tracks in metal albums.  I hate when they are purely ambient and don't set up the following song at all.  I also just hate when the intro track is just guitar wankery that doesn't go anywhere or say anything...just a repeated flashy gesture that gets boring fast. 

Offline Omni

• Staff
  • But, what ends when the symbols shatter?
Re: Metal Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 01:53:32 AM »
I don't care for the trend of black metal adding random musical influences from stuff like post-rock and shoegaze. It's one of the most displeasing musical developments in metal for me. I actually like shoegaze bands from the 1980s and 1990s, but those styles of music have nothing to do with each other and it always sounds forced.

I dislike extremely slick, modern production that removes all semblance of live sound or spontaneity from styles of metal that have always benefited from those qualities, such as thrash and USPM. This has become a big thing in the last several years that has lessened my enjoyment of a lot of newer releases.

I also hate splits that have alternating tracks between two bands. This has always lessened my enjoyment of splits, with the only exception being the Panphage/Þul split. Since most people, including me, who like Panphage seem to agree that Þul is probably the same musician as Panphage, this might account for why this split works for me.

Offline Sirliftsalot48

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:45:41 AM »
People that spell Dream Theater as Dream Theatre.  It doesn't matter how your country spells it, the band spells its name Theater.

Offline Luxi

• Staff
  • "SADISTIC FUCKING INTENT!!!"
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
People spell Kiss as Kiss even if should be spelled K.I.S.S. (because the letters stand for Kings In Satan's Service)
 :peep:
"Live for today... tomorrow never comes".

Offline Luxi

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 08:51:45 AM »

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
That thing bands often do in a song where they just play on and it just fades away instead of simply ending the damn song.  Live performances often give an actual ending, so why shouldn't the studio release  :pissed:
Metal Always. Metal Only.

Offline Nosrac1691

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »
Off the top of my head:

I can't stand it when metal bands end albums on a ballad.

And moving right along in terms of sequencing, I don't get it when bands put several similar songs (be it softer stuff or fast/mid-paced) together on an album when an obvious reshuffle would have benefited the record to give it a better flow.

Not a big fan of the one minute intro track.

I don't like lazy album covers. I'm tired of seeing the band logo above a nonsensical crest or something.

Offline ReignInBloodyGore

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 12:48:25 PM »
Haha, I can echo many of all of your feelings on annoyances in metal. 

I personally hate when bands go "symphonic" and add the keyboards, or even real orchestra...I just think it takes too much away from the band and changes the product to something much less metal and much less enjoyable.  Maybe because I'm a violinist I hate this, but for example, it doesn't feel like I'm listening to a metal album when I hear some Nightwish.  It feels more like a movie soundtrack or something, and that ruins it for me. 

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 01:24:14 PM »
Things that piss me off:

Intro tracks

Narration or sound samples (especially from overused movies like Hellraiser or Braveheart)

Long album titles in Latin

Mixing clean and harsh vocals - it has never worked and it just sounds stupid.  Pick a style.

When bands put out really short EPs.  Like, 2 songs plus an "intro" and an "outro" is not an EP

Using the word "outro"

Retro Doom band singers who try to sound like Ozzy

Come to think of it: Ozzy

Bands with unreadable logos and no clear printing of the band name anywhere on the CD

Live bonus tracks

Bonus tracks in general

Albums less than 30 minutes long

Puns or wordplay in album titles

Prog

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 07:13:15 PM »
Things that piss me off:

Intro tracks

Narration or sound samples (especially from overused movies like Hellraiser or Braveheart)

Long album titles in Latin

Mixing clean and harsh vocals - it has never worked and it just sounds stupid.  Pick a style.

When bands put out really short EPs.  Like, 2 songs plus an "intro" and an "outro" is not an EP

Using the word "outro"

Retro Doom band singers who try to sound like Ozzy

Come to think of it: Ozzy

Bands with unreadable logos and no clear printing of the band name anywhere on the CD

Live bonus tracks

Bonus tracks in general

Albums less than 30 minutes long

Puns or wordplay in album titles

Prog
This list reminded me of another one: tr00 and kvlt dick measuring.  Come to think of it, the general Black Metal image nonsense in general.
Metal Always. Metal Only.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 07:34:42 PM »
Promos that don't have all the song information attached to the files. This is especially irritating when they are from "big" labels. Have someone at the office spend 15 fucking minutes putting the band name, track name, etc. on each file.

Albums over an hour and/or with 12 or more songs. More than likely half of the material isn't fully fleshed out or just plain sucks so trim it the fuck down and save the other stuff for an EP or future album. Or make them bonus tracks, cuz that annoys Sargon  :lol

Labels raiding a thesaurus to describe a new release. Just tell us what it is, please.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 10:15:48 PM »
Can I add the guys in old Metallica shirts who say they are "into metal" but turn out not to have heard anything in the last 20 years except Load?

Offline Luxi

• Staff
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
Eh, don't know what to say so let this video speak for itself...  Classic! :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:43:56 PM by Luxi »

Offline Eternal_Sorrow

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 10:43:46 PM »
My biggest and probably only pet peeve is super fans... I hate people who almost get off at just the mention of a band, and usually hate other bands in said genre cause they are not as good as theses "guys"!!  Examples of bands of this ilk, not that they are bad just their fans can be, are Cynic, Meshhugah, Dream Theater, Opeth, Rush (not as metal but fuck the super fans), Cannibal Corpse, and Death among others.

I like a few of the bands I named especially Death, but some fans are just fucking douche bags!!

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 11:48:16 PM »
Prog snobs are the worst.