Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: What music do you listen to that isn't metal?  (Read 903 times)

Offline Omni

• Staff
  • But, what ends when the symbols shatter?
Re: What music do you listen to that isn't metal?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 06:17:16 PM »
I'm apparently an outlier because I much prefer Rush before they began incorporating heavy synth use and 1980s rock influences into their music.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 06:43:29 PM »
I'm apparently an outlier because I much prefer Rush before they began incorporating heavy synth use and 1980s rock influences into their music.

You mean the debut and Fly By Night? The synths came in pretty quickly after that with 2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres. I like all those albums and pretty much everything they did up until Roll the Bones. After that, they lost me.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline Omni

• Staff
  • But, what ends when the symbols shatter?
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »
There is a big difference between using synths and using them heavily. The latter is what I'd call their usage of synths in the 1980s.  :peep:

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 08:38:22 PM »
I think most of their eras have things I like, and things I don't.  Rush was pretty consistent for a long time.  Post Roll the Bones is spottier, true, but I still think Test For Echo is a great album.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 10:16:15 PM »
There is a big difference between using synths and using them heavily. The latter is what I'd call their usage of synths in the 1980s.  :peep:

I think they used them pretty heavily from 2112 on but the period you are talking about from around Grace Under Pressure until Presto the synths overshadowed the guitar to a large extent, so I get what you are driving at.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 11:02:33 PM »
Oh yeah, October Rust has some great shit on it.  I used to listen to that album a lot.

Favorite song from that album? Mine is Green Man or Red Water.

Any other Type-O fans here? Anyone listened to the album World Coming Down?

Offline Sargon the Terrible

• Staff
  • Ia Ia Cthulhu F'Thagn!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 11:43:26 PM »
Probably "Love You To Death" or "Be My Druidess".

Didn't like the next album, too mopey.

Offline eternaljester81

• Staff
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 11:50:31 PM »
Favorite song from that album? Mine is Green Man or Red Water.

Any other Type-O fans here? Anyone listened to the album World Coming Down?

I love Type O., and World Coming Down is a fantastic album.

As for October Rust, "Red Water" has been my favorite TON song from the first time I heard it, followed closely by "Green Man".

Offline BrunoRedSox

• Staff
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »
I like Frank Sinatra and Classical Music in general. Also listen to a lot of video games OST.
Metal is forever
In every Single matter
Metal is forever
Nations come together

Offline PetrifiedNapkin

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 03:43:18 PM »
I like Frank Sinatra and Classical Music in general. Also listen to a lot of video games OST.

Have you listened to the OST for the Witcher 3? Check out In the Fields of Ard Skellig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NknjE2SBPxw
Hands down the best sound track i've ever heard.

Sargon, if you like Type O's more fun stuff, try "I Don't want to be me" or "Angry Inch" of the album Life is Killing Me.

Offline metal_xxx

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 05:47:36 PM »
Although I listen to metal 99% of the time now, I used to enjoy a lot of different stuff. I spent my adolescent years as a metalhead in a punk/hardcore underground scene. There were few metal bands around my age to play in, so I played lead guitar in a punk band and later in a hardcore band. It would be a big lie to say that I do not enjoy traditional punk but also hardcore bands like Converge in particular. I rarely listen to any of it nowadays though.

I also grew up in kind of a mixed home with a devoted blues guitarist for a father and a religious mother. My father got me into playing, and I spent my childhood listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and the likes. Either on CD or my father playing. My mother on the other hand played a lot of happy, flowery music for me. Women with amazing voices etc, so I also can appreciate a good voice and singer, regardless of the genre.

I am now in my late twenties and I hardly ever listen to blues or anything else anymore. However, I've become very fond of traditional Norwegian/Scandinavian folk music and I enjoy it in its purest form as well as in my metal. Other than that, I'm a big prog rock fan and also listen to some straight-forward 70s rock.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:49:12 PM by metal_xxx »

Offline BrunoRedSox

• Staff
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »
Have you listened to the OST for the Witcher 3? Check out In the Fields of Ard Skellig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NknjE2SBPxw
Hands down the best sound track i've ever heard.

Oh, I definitely agree with you. One of the best video game music AND one of the best games of all time for me. I mainly listen to JRPG (1990's stuff like Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FF's, Secrets series, Wild Arms, etc.) and RPG's in general, but I do enjoy some classic SNES and Mega Drive OST's as well
Metal is forever
In every Single matter
Metal is forever
Nations come together

Offline Dragonchaser

• Staff
  • Ghost In The Ruins
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 09:11:15 AM »
Although I listen to metal 99% of the time now, I used to enjoy a lot of different stuff. I spent my adolescent years as a metalhead in a punk/hardcore underground scene. There were few metal bands around my age to play in, so I played lead guitar in a punk band and later in a hardcore band. It would be a big lie to say that I do not enjoy traditional punk but also hardcore bands like Converge in particular. I rarely listen to any of it nowadays though.

That's cool, metal_xxx. I listen to a lot of hardcore and Converge rule. Jane Doe is a great album.

Offline metal_xxx

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »
That's cool, metal_xxx. I listen to a lot of hardcore and Converge rule. Jane Doe is a great album.

Certainly a very influential album. You Fail Me, Jane Doe, No Heroes and Axe to Fall have seen some heavy rotation throughout the years. Ballou is a terrific guitarist.

Offline Mystophales

• Staff
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 11:47:09 PM »
Listen to a LOT of blues with guitar oriented stuff being far and away my favorite...

SRV
Albert Collins
Albert King
Joanna Conner
John Lee Hooker
Muddy Waters

A lot of 70's rock

Rush
Zeppelin
Ted Nugent
Johnny Winter
The Kinks
Steppenwolf
Doors
Big Brother
Jefferson Airplane

Also a very big fan of punk

Circle Jerks
Dead Kennedys
The Exploited
Black Flag
Operation Ivy
GBH
Sex Pistols

Oddly enough also a fan of some new wave stuff like The Cure, Depeche Mode and Frankie Goes to Hollywood...

Just about the only thing I can't get into is Country, Jazz or this weird electronic music droning bass for 15 minutes stuff that a lot of kids seem to like. My 23 year old is a big fan of it and I just question where I went wrong as a parent...lol