Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: I have gotten back into vinyl....  (Read 493 times)

Offline Mystophales

• Staff
I have gotten back into vinyl....
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
I recently got back from vacation and while my wife and I were out we stayed at a airBnB that had an amazing record collection that guests were welcome to use. This was very cool as well as a problem. I have been infected and now am back into vinyl. My question for you fine people is what are some of your favorite distros for new and used metal albums? Just a cursory google search has yielded a few but some of the websites seem pretty sketchy and prices are all over the place. I don't care if it's a "rare European pressing with goat blood and limited to 666 copies". As long as the record plays without skipping I am happy.
Thanks in advance for any and all help... :super:

Offline Omni

• Staff
  • But, what ends when the symbols shatter?
Re: I have gotten back into vinyl....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 08:35:20 PM »
I buy a lot of stuff on Discogs.

Offline Mystophales

• Staff
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 10:10:19 PM »
That's the main one I came across on my google search. It is a definite possibility when looking for individual albums that are harder to find. Seemed like some people's idea of what shipping should be is a bit insane however. Saw more than a few shipping from the USA to the USA and costing $20 in shipping.

Offline Uncle Daddy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 06:52:29 AM »
I've acquired lots of good vinyl from Cruz Del Sur and Bandcamp. Fortunately there are also a few good record stores in my neck of the woods as well.

Offline Mystophales

• Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:58:12 PM »
Never thought of Bandcamp but that is a great idea....thanks.

Offline Uncle Daddy

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:34:41 AM »
Yeah it's pretty cool. Even if you buy the physical media you still get access to all the digital media including lossless.

Offline Chris Foley

• Staff
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 01:27:02 PM »
I'll second everything mentioned. Discogs is a great site which has helped me track a few gems for my collection, also fantastic for tracking what you want to get in the future. Bandcamp is one of the best ways to support the people making this music, and like Uncle Daddy says, includes high quality mp3 files which is a great touch (especially if you're a collector and want to keep your stuff sealed/pristine).

As for distros, again, I'll second Cruz Del Sur who press most of their releases on vinyl, and happen to have some great sales and reductions from time to time. No Remorse Records is another good one, they stock a whole load of stuff, have killer label releases, and a mighty second hand section with some nice rarities. High Roller keep an almighty selection of records as well. Of course these are all EU based, so the postage will be evil. I know Hells Headbangers in the US has a great selection, and they seem very reasonable in both price and postage costs. I really like some of the smaller label/distros like Divebomb and Swords & Chains, although these guys don't focus much on vinyl (in fact, Divebomb may be exclusively CD).

Outside of web based stores, old record stores are often gold mines, as well as yards sales, where you can likely net 70s/80s/90s records for pennies.

Hope to be of some help  :thumbup:

Offline Mystophales

• Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »
Used vinyl shops have exploded here in Des Moines. Think 7 are now in operation and 5 of those opened in the last 12 months. Only problem there is prices are all over the place. I have heard with this resurgence on vinyls popularity that record companies are making more and more reissue stuff available and although I prefer the original at least this will help with the prices in the secondary market (hopefully anyway). Really looks like my best option is yard sales for the best prices at least. I have checked pawn shops and "antique" shops/flea markets and have found some good 70's era stuff like Montross, UFO, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Aerosmith as well as some good blues stuff like Clapton, Edgar and Johnny Winter. Metal is still far and away the hardest to find and if you do it is expensive. Out of the 7 local places I found one Maiden album (Somewhere in Time) and it was $55.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 05:34:08 AM »
A lot of used places have an online presence as well so it might make sense to google used records in different cities. Might be easier to find Facebook or sales pages that aren't full-blown websites.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood