Follow The Metal Crypt on Twitter  The Metal Crypt on Facebook

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 329 times)

Offline metal_xxx

Introduce yourself
« on: June 19, 2017, 04:12:43 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the forum sees a bit more activity now than before mainly due to new members. Why not introduce ourselves? We've probably had this sort of topic before, but I thought it would be interesting anyway.

I'll start:

Name: Thomas

Day job: PhD-student (nutrition). Yes it is actually a job even though it says "student".

City, Country: Oslo, Norway

When (and how) did you get into metal?: When I was about 12. Got a Master of Puppets CD from a friend and managed to hide it from my parents. Saw Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio shortly thereafter and the rest is history.

Favorite metal genres: Probably most fond of old-school NWOBHM, 80s thrash metal and straight-up heavy metal. Been listening non-stop to pagan/folk black metal the last couple of years though.

What genre(s) is/are not for you?
Brutal death metal. Been trying for years, just never clicks.

How did you discover the Crypt?: Back when I played guitar I was fascinated by prog guitarists and especially Jorn Viggo Lofstad of Pagan's Mind. Read a review of a couple of their early albums here by Sargon and Lord Requiem. Been a regular ever since.

Most influential band on my metal tastes?: Iron Maiden, no doubt. But also Moonsorrow in later years. I'm sure there are more, but these stick out.

Offline Omni

• Staff
  • But, what ends when the symbols shatter?
Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:55:34 PM »
Name: Judith

Day job: Management in a tourism/hospitality company

How I got into metal: My dad played Black Sabbath and Rainbow when I was younger and I got into them around age 12 or 13. He also had Manowar stuff on vinyl, but I don't remember him ever playing their music.

Favorite metal genres: Old school traditional heavy metal, thrash, USPM, first wave black metal. I like a lot of other metal as well.

Metal I don't like: Keyboard driven symphonic power metal and black metal, groove metal, slam death metal, black metal that incorporates random musical styles such as post-rock.

How I discovered this site: I've read interviews and reviews on this site before, but I joined after Howie Bentley (Cauldron Born, Briton Rites) read some of my reviews and suggested that I have them published on this site.

Most influential band on my metal tastes: Either Judas Priest or Mercyful Fate. Once I started listening to those bands, there was no turning back and their best music sets the gold standard that I use to rate a lot of other music.

Offline MetalMike

• Staff
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
My "origin" story can be found here and the 3 subsequent editorials -

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/editorials.php?editorialid=30

The stuff that happened between 1993 and 2008, when I joined the staff here, is inconsequential from a metal standpoint.
We need it as a liquid in our veins instead of blood

Offline ReignInBloodyGore

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »
Name:  Micah

Day Job:  Musician, private instructor.

How and When did I Get Into Metal? 
Around age 10 or so, I was in a pawn shop. I saw countless CD's for $1, and decided to take a chance as I had recently been given a CD player and had no idea what to listen to. My first pick was a CD by Fear Factory, which was the bonus edition of their Obsolete album.  I didn't like the whole thing, but it was memorable, and ever since, I always looked for music that was just as aggressive. The bonus track "Wgere Evil Dwells" is still ingrained in my memory from childhood.  Similarly, I began getting more into Metal by buying metal albums without an idea of what they sounded like, picking albums more for the cool artwork or names. Sometimes it was a great pick and sometimes not.

Favorite Metal Genres:  my username likely suggests the answer.  I am all about thrash and death metal, especially of the old School variety.

Genres I don't Like:  Power Metal (Although I used to love it), Gothic Metal, Industrial Metal, Symphonic Metal, Folk Metal, Brutal Death sometimes, Slam Metal, most Grindcore.  Traditional metal often bores me, but not always.  Melodic death metal almost always bores me. Seems I don't like a lot of genres nowadays. Haha

How I discovered this Site:  I actually discovered it more than 10 years ago while I was doing the whole "go to work with mom day" routine. I was bored and decided to look for Metal suggestions, and this site showed up and I was sucked into the reviews and read so many reviews. I remember back then I was into black Metal and was looking at those reviews on here.

Most Influential Band on my Tastes?  Easily, Slayer!

Offline Eternal_Sorrow

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:01:25 PM »
Name: Eli

Day Job: Chef

How and when I got into metal:
My dad used to be the head of publicity for A&M records up until it was sold in 91.  Due to this i grew up listening to rock and roll and lots of what you could call pre-metal i guess.  Getting to see Nirvana at 9 years old kinda sparked my interest in heavier forms of music, and soon after that I hear Inflames - Graveland and to this day the low-fi into still brings fond memories of when i discovered metal.  After that I scoured the far ends of napster and soulseek and mIRC for all and any form of metal i could find.  Also avidly collected CDs for a while and had almost 4000 at one point, but due to unavoidable circumstances I had to sell them all :(

Favorite Metal Genres:
Almost all of them, but I do lean towards folk metal and power metal. I prefer fast, speedy and melodic metal most of time regardless of sub-genre.

Genres I dont like:
 I only really dislike Doom and Grind, Doom is to slow and boring most of the time and Grind is to generic blasty and boring.

How I discovered this site:
Honestly don't remember it was so long ago, I remember the days when it was just Mike and Christian and some randoms doing reviews! Ive been here since almost day 1 probably just didnt sign up and become active for quite a while.

Most influential band on my tastes:
Inflames got me into metal, but it was Malmsteen who made me realize I love guitar driven music.  I grew tired of him pretty quick but I will always give him credit for turning a little 10 year old kid onto the amazing music that can come from a guitar!!

Offline Dragonchaser

• Staff
  • Ghost In The Ruins
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »
Name: Bruce

Day Job: Music journalist

How and when I got into metal:

I got into guitar driven music when I was 11. I loved the music you found on old school 80s movies, especially the alternative stuff. I got a double cassette for Christmas that had a bunch of rock songs on it and I just wanted to go deeper. My dad gave me a cd called Purple Rainbows, a collection of Deep Purple and Rainbow songs. Inside, there was a picture of Whitesnake for some reason, dressed in leather with long hair, and my dad said, "They look like Iron Maiden". That was it. I got Best Of The Beast and Virtual XI and that was it. I was obsessed. Went to see Maiden when I was 12 and it changed my life. I started to sing and eventually, by age 15, developed a style that could replicate my favorite singers (Dickinson, Kiske, Mythiasin). I learned how to play guitar and basically fucked off my education to find out as much about metal as I could. I also amassed a huge CD collection that is with me to this day.

Favorite Metal Genres:

Power metal, traditional metal, metalcore, hardcore, black metal.

Genres I Don't Like:

Groove metal gets on my nerves. I really hate Pantera and their annoying superfans. Grindcore sucks apart from Scum by Napalm Death, and I've really grown weary of symphonic and folk metal.

How I Discovered This Site:

When I started writing for national magazines here in the UK, I was looking for something online that gave me the freedom to write about older albums that I loved. I asked Michel to give me a shot and he did.

Most Influential Band On My Taste:

Iron Maiden. They opened my eyes to melodic metal, and from there I chased anything that sounded like them. It lead me to Helloween, Queensryche, Fates Warning, and then onto other favorites such as Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Kamelot, and Threshold. I've wasted my life listening to metal, but what are you going to do?

Offline Chris Foley

• Staff
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 04:06:31 PM »
I'll hop on the bandwagon.

Name: Christopher

Day job: Wood Cutter/Sales Asst. in DIY store

How I got into metal: Had heard a few heavy bands prior, but hearing Metallica properly for the first time was the game changer. With the help of tapes from a girl from school, and some tactical library rentals my mind was blown. Then I heard Blind Guardian, Hammerfall, Carcass, and Dream Theater, and that's when I took the plunge further.

Favorite metal genres: Heavy/power/speed/thrash/(epic)doom/death/black

Metal I don't like: Shit metal

How I discovered this site: Google initially, searching for power metal, and then when I met Bruce I started visiting regularly.

Most influential band on my metal tastes: Metallica, maybe it's cool not to like them, or maybe you just don't like them, but Hetfield is a fucking riff master, and I wouldn't be playing guitar without him. Also Judas Priest's Painkiller, and Carcass' Heartwork records, the former paved the way for my love of power metal, and the latter broke me on extreme metal.

Offline Mjölnir

• Hail to the Hammer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 05:59:31 PM »
Name: Devon Gaston

Day job: College student (job being in air quotes, of course)

How I got into metal: Initially hated most music, especially what I incorrectly perceived as Heavy Metal at the time (Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc.), but I heard that some game called Brutal Legend was pretty good and figured I could get past the music to play it.  Hearing Children of the Grave from Black Sabbath immediately shattered every false perception of the style I had and blew my god damned mind.  Unfortunately, I lacked internet at the time, so I was stuck with what songs the game had and what I could scrape off of satellite radio.  When I did have internet, I stumbled across this site, found a review for some band called Mechanical Poet, and then had both my perceptions and my mind blown once again with what could really be done with the genre.  From there, I found any good review on here I could find, listened to some music from that reviewed album, and that was when I really began to understand the breadth and depth of the genre I had found thanks to some game most people haven't even played.

Favorite Metal genres: Anything with an epic tinge to it

Metal I don't like: Poser/inept/substandard garbage

How I discovered this site: Random chance and Sargon's Metal Genres list, mostly.

Most influential band on my tastes: Summoning.  You could argue they aren't the most metal band in the world, but you couldn't convince me that they aren't one of the most epic and expansive bands out there, if not the most.
Metal Always. Metal Only.

Offline metaldomdom

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 06:47:35 AM »

Name: Dominic

Day job: Carpenter (in commercial construction, get up at 4:30am, start working at 6am and finish at 2pm)

How and When did I Get Into Metal?

My sisters were listening to metal in the late eighties (Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth) so being the younger brother, I copied them. I remember wearing one of their tshirt of Metallica (ride the lightning, the one who get electrocuted on the chair) to elementary school. When New Kids On The block appeared, they went all girly and left the metal behind, but I stayed true. I deviated to hiphop a little bit for around one year when I was always hanging out with my older cousin but I came back right on track.

Favorite Metal Genres: Traditional Metal, Technical Thrash Metal, Atmospheric Black Metal, Funeral Doom Metal.

Genre I don't like: There's not really a genre I don't like but I've mostly grown tired of Power Metal. For me it's been the same for at least 10 years. I do get a album from time to time.

How I discovered this site: Been coming here for at least 15 years, it's like Metalcrypt has always been there for me. I have other sites that I read review, but it's always the recommandation and best of the year list from here that I fallow.

Most Influential Band on my Tastes? Iron Maiden

Offline Uncle Daddy

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 07:44:25 AM »
Name: Bob

Day job: Engineer

How I got into metal: A friend from grade school turned me on to Maiden and Priest, the rest is history.

Favorite genres: Traditional, Power, Thrash, Black, Doom

Disliked genres: Brutal Death, Nu/Core, Grind

How I discovered the Crypt: I don't really remember but I lurked here for many years reading the boards/reviews before joining.

Most influential band: Iron Maiden

Offline Luxi

• Staff
  • "SADISTIC FUCKING INTENT!!!"
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:07:07 AM »
Too damn busy at the moment for doing some typing, so...

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/reviewerprofile.php?revid=75
"Live for today... tomorrow never comes".